Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what time do you start school?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
  • 14 Replies

just wondering if you ladies have a set time to start school in your home? we used to start like 8:30 - 9 am, but that would only happen like 3 days out of our week, because of bringing hubby to work or helping my mom, then i started schooling another child, and we started around 10 - 10:30am with no interuptions, i unplugged house phone, and told everyone to only call for emergency on cell from 10am to 1pm.

so what time do you start? same everyday? do you think a certain time to start school is better than another?

thank you

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

We usually get started around 11:30AM-12:30PM. DD is a nightowl and I have just accepted that is her inner clock. I used to wear myself out trying to get her to bed early. We don't start the same time every day. I think whatever works for you & your family is best. Because if you had to, you could homeschool in the evening. So, I think whatever works is cool.

bmw29
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:51 AM
We don't have a set time we just play it by ear.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 9:52 AM
Normally 9ish but life always happens. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Learning happens all the time in this house!

5BMom
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM
my kids are only K and pre-k... We start at around 10:30 and go until lunch times most days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

We eat around 9, so sometimes before 10. Go until 12:30. lunch, then back to it until around 3. But most days we have other things in there like ST, OT, dance, cheer, scouts. COOP. So that is forever changing the schedule. Plus anything she doesnt finish is then homework, meaning no TV until its done. We have a goal of trying to work towards getting going when DH goes to work around 7:30 so eat at 8. But with a nightowl son its sooooo hard.

oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

9:00 am  every day for the last 28 years

and i dont think a certain time is any better than another! we should start when we feel comfortable to do so!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:41 PM
This is very true. Our "schedule" has changed a lot over this year. Sometimes we get it all done in the morning and can do play learning the rest of the day, some days we have errands or phone calls that have to be made in the am, so we do our formal stuff later in the afternoon. Lately we have been doing math in the morning, with the rest of the subjects during my younger dd's nap so I can focus.

Quoting oredeb:

9:00 am  every day for the last 28 years

and i dont think a certain time is any better than another! we should start when we feel comfortable to do so!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Every year it changes. This year we are working during afternoon napime. LOL Of course, anytime I can sneak in a teachable moment, I do. 8)

Moma3boyz
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM
On the days I have to work we do school from 7 to 9:30. Then they catch up anything not done while I am fixing supper. I tried doing it all in the afternoon or evening but their attn is long gone by then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)