Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

*Small update* Having someone else teach your child...

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Update: We went over everything with her yesterday and today he stayed there and did his work with her for the first time.  Dh took the day off for Vday and we decided to go out of town and let them try it out.  She said he did great and finished everything.  She didn't have any problems, so that is a relief and makes me feel better about starting work Thursday.

Our son is 13 and in 7th grade.  He has been homeschooled since kindergarten.  There has always been either me or his dad here during the day teaching him.  First it was me, then when I finished college, I went to work and hubby stayed home and also attended college.  Then, he went back to work after finishing and I stayed home and got my Masters.  Now, I am starting work this Thursday as a social worker and neither of us will be home with him for the first time.

He has the option of attending school, but really doesn't want to.  My in laws live next door and my mil recently retired and has volunteered to keep him and do his work with him.  She worked in a school as a professional tutor and is definitely smart enough to handle it.  And, with our son being 13, he does most of his work on his own now anyway.  However, I am still really worried and freaking out about the situation.  I have a feeling it is simply because I am a control freak and letting go of control of my son's education after all these years is really tough.  I know he will be fine, but, how do I stop worrying? 

Would any of you ever consider this option?

~
If you're a crafter, please check out my Facebook blog. :)
Be Hoppy Crafting
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I can understand how you feel. We always feel no one can do it like we can. :) and while that may be true, it seems like a pretty good scenario, and being able to continue to HS instead of go to school definitely would be our choice. As long as you trust and feel comfortable with your mil, I'd go for it. I can't say I'd feel the same about my mil.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra1023
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I can understand how you feel. We always feel no one can do it like we can. :) and while that may be true, it seems like a pretty good scenario, and being able to continue to HS instead of go to school definitely would be our choice. As long as you trust and feel comfortable with your mil, I'd go for it. I can't say I'd feel the same about my mil.

My mil is awesome and her and our ds are insanely close.  She is great with him, and I have no doubt that he will get everything done.  It's just, it might not get done exactly the same way it would have with me or his dad.  So, I know that is what I need to get over.

~
Be Hoppy Crafting
sandra1023
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Thanks for your response, btw, I appreciate it!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I would consider the option with my mom, but not my mother in-law.  The reason is I have a good relationship with my mom, and I trust my mom.  Although I have built a better relationship with my mother in-law she has burned too many bridges with me to ever regain my trust fully for me to entrust my children's future to her.

You have more then just the two options you're looking at which are mother in-law homeschooling your son or public school which he doesn't want.  Since your mother in-law is retired she can watch your son and he can do his schooling during that time, but whatever he can't do you can cover during your evening or weekend schooling hours you plan with him.  My children that are older are self sufficient too and so it really only means the hours they need you are the ones to cover materials they may have questions over.  In this route your mother in-law will still stay in the grandma role, and your son can still have both you and your husband as primary teachers still.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:38 PM
That is fantastic, I'd definitey go for it if I couldn't do it myself! It's awesome you have this option and such a willing mil. :)
Maybe figure out what you think will be different, and find a solution, talk to your mil about the important things, and let the small things go. Easier said than done, right? Lol

Quoting sandra1023:

Quoting Boobah:

My mil is awesome and her and our ds are insanely close.  She is great with him, and I have no doubt that he will get everything done.  It's just, it might not get done exactly the same way it would have with me or his dad.  So, I know that is what I need to get over.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I would consider it if I was in a position like you are, but only with a person I trust to do things the way my child need it done & not the way that person prefers it (because it is the child education & should be done the way the child learns best)

sandra1023
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Quoting Knightquester:

I would consider the option with my mom, but not my mother in-law.  The reason is I have a good relationship with my mom, and I trust my mom.  Although I have built a better relationship with my mother in-law she has burned too many bridges with me to ever regain my trust fully for me to entrust my children's future to her.

You have more then just the two options you're looking at which are mother in-law homeschooling your son or public school which he doesn't want.  Since your mother in-law is retired she can watch your son and he can do his schooling during that time, but whatever he can't do you can cover during your evening or weekend schooling hours you plan with him.  My children that are older are self sufficient too and so it really only means the hours they need you are the ones to cover materials they may have questions over.  In this route your mother in-law will still stay in the grandma role, and your son can still have both you and your husband as primary teachers still.

We are planning on doing this with math, as that is an area she isn't comfortable with.  And, of course, if anything comes up that she feels she can't do, we will work with him on it.  We get through a lot.  He is actually finished with his spelling for the year (though, we are continuing on with a different book), and he is on his 3rd Geography book for the year, etc..  So, honestly, he is quite ahead for the year.  I do feel better knowing that, because I don't really have to worry about him actually falling behind the next couple of months if it doesn't work out.

~
Be Hoppy Crafting
sandra1023
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Much easier said than done!  But, I guess I have to suck it up and learn to let go.  :)

Quoting Boobah:

That is fantastic, I'd definitey go for it if I couldn't do it myself! It's awesome you have this option and such a willing mil. :)
Maybe figure out what you think will be different, and find a solution, talk to your mil about the important things, and let the small things go. Easier said than done, right? Lol

Quoting sandra1023:

Quoting Boobah:

~
Be Hoppy Crafting
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:51 PM

It is illegal here.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

sandra1023
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I actually remember seeing that it is illegal for anyone other than parents/guardians to teach in some states.  I need to check our state.  To be honest, though, I would probably still do it, since he is old enough to do most of the work himself and simply say that we are doing the work in the evenings/on weekends.

ETA: I just checked out state laws on HSLDA and it doesn't state anything about it.  This is our 8th year and we have never heard one word from our school district anyway.  They have never even asked for our attendance reports.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

It is illegal here.

~
Be Hoppy Crafting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)