Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

*Small update* Having someone else teach your child...

Posted by   + Show Post

Update: We went over everything with her yesterday and today he stayed there and did his work with her for the first time.  Dh took the day off for Vday and we decided to go out of town and let them try it out.  She said he did great and finished everything.  She didn't have any problems, so that is a relief and makes me feel better about starting work Thursday.

Our son is 13 and in 7th grade.  He has been homeschooled since kindergarten.  There has always been either me or his dad here during the day teaching him.  First it was me, then when I finished college, I went to work and hubby stayed home and also attended college.  Then, he went back to work after finishing and I stayed home and got my Masters.  Now, I am starting work this Thursday as a social worker and neither of us will be home with him for the first time.

He has the option of attending school, but really doesn't want to.  My in laws live next door and my mil recently retired and has volunteered to keep him and do his work with him.  She worked in a school as a professional tutor and is definitely smart enough to handle it.  And, with our son being 13, he does most of his work on his own now anyway.  However, I am still really worried and freaking out about the situation.  I have a feeling it is simply because I am a control freak and letting go of control of my son's education after all these years is really tough.  I know he will be fine, but, how do I stop worrying? 

Would any of you ever consider this option?

~
If you're a crafter, please check out my Facebook blog. :)
Be Hoppy Crafting
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 12:16 PM
Replies (21-21):
oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:40 AM

sounds good sandra!!! ;yea!!

and trig is easy if you have the anser key!!!!

Quoting sandra1023:

Quoting adelphi13:

I could not because in my state there is only to be one designated teacher.  I am allowed to supplement but not switch who primarily teaches them back and forth.

She will be the designated teacher, so we won't be switching back and forth.  :)  I originally thought we would be doing his math with him because she had mentioned once that she wasn't comfortable with it, but we went over all of his work yesterday and apparently I had misunderstood her.  She said she will be fine to do math with him until he gets into trigonometry which will be a few years yet (I hope!).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)