Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you a "DIY" or "PSE" kind of person? - OT kind of

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
  • 8 Replies

Do you like to "do it yourself", or "Pay someone else"?  I was raised by a woman who literally could do anything.  Very rarely have they ever had to pay someone to fix anything.  I love that about my mom :)

Last night, our furnace went out.  My husband grew up in the PSE kind of house.  (Knowing his parents, this is a good thing!  haha).  So his immediate reaction was to call the local furnace repair guy.  I decided to google our furnace, and troubleshoot myself.  I gave DH instructions on how to do a check, and we figured out what went wrong.  Today I tracked down the part, and installed the new one.  Voila!  We have heat and it only cost me $45! 

Total proud wife moment as he told his work buddies about me.  :D

So I was just wondering, who else likes to do it yourself?  I love the feeling of doing something myself like building a deck, fixing a furnace, etc.  Kind of like... teaching my own kids!  haha!

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:00 PM

We are a 'do MOST things by ourselves' kind of folks. We can usually get it fixed.

Good job to you!!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:01 PM

DIY all the way here! My hubby can fix almost anything & if he doesn't know it he is very willing to learn & so am I. Our goal is to have our children grow up to be DIYers for everything!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Yes, there are definitely things we can't do.  My husbands car has proven to be quite a challenge more than once.  It is really frustrating when we can't fix it ourselves.  It is currently sitting at his work, immobile, waiting for us to tow it to his friends so he can fix it for us... and charge us $400 in labor, plus I think hubby said about $300 or so in parts.  Yuck. 

And thanks, I was pretty happy with myself.  haha!

Quoting mem82:

We are a 'do MOST things by ourselves' kind of folks. We can usually get it fixed.

Good job to you!!

mynameismuerte
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this
We are mostly DIY but while we're renting for the next few months we're CTL (call the landlord) hahah!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:04 PM

this is our goal also.  My brother asks my parents to do everything for him, and we lived in the same house.  Haha!  But I'd really like our kids to be able to save some money and be self sufficient. 

Quoting usmom3:

DIY all the way here! My hubby can fix almost anything & if he doesn't know it he is very willing to learn & so am I. Our goal is to have our children grow up to be DIYers for everything!

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I grew up in a house where my Dad fixed everything & he still dose. My husband is the same way, he is not afraid to take something apart to see how it works so he can fix it.

Quoting Boobah:

this is our goal also.  My brother asks my parents to do everything for him, and we lived in the same house.  Haha!  But I'd really like our kids to be able to save some money and be self sufficient. 

Quoting usmom3:

Janis198
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I am a DIY kinda person.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this

do it yourself person( thats why we are putting in our own wood floors!)my dh can do anything!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)