Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

is your s/o or dh completly on board with your decision to homeschool?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
  • 25 Replies

did you both decide? or was it just you? who's idea was it?

while most times my dh agrees with homeschooling, especially after watching yet another public school incident on tv, but on occasion he will ask how long are we going to home school? is he going to high school? what about his social skills? and trust my son is one of the most social people i know! while i did not even talk in school until like 8th grade! either way, just wondering if anyone else has to "prove" their point about homeschooling? i deal with it enough with relatives sometimes i feel he should just agree with me. i understand his concerns, and then research so i always have concrete things to show him. so what about you?

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM

I don't have much advice. We both made the decision to pull our oldest out of school so that makes it easy. 8)

acrogodess
by Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I brought up the topic. Explained to him the pros and cons and he said if I felt I could handle it, go for it. He will not help since he never made it past 10th grade and has not acquired a GED
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

He has his moments where I think he listens to his coworkers to much! He is around them 10+ hours a day 5 days a week & he very rarely gets to go with us to homeschool events. So I understand why he sometimes questions if it is the right thing. But on the flip side he knows the PS are broken & not fixable & our children are better off not in them for the most part.

Moma3boyz
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM
All I I had to do was go to our states department of education and looked at the stats on public verses homeschool stats. That put his mind at ease. That and once I proved to him they could still go to college and that they even had scholarships for homeschooled students.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 3:48 PM

It wasn't "my" decision; it was "our" decision. A decision we made together.

Yes, he is as completely on board with it as I am.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

it was just me and my kids when i first chose to hs, (first husband had decided he didnt like family life!) so i made the decision and never regretted it! my second husband came along 12 yrs later and was all for it!hahaha thats good cuz i wasnt gona stop!hahahaha

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM

My DH and I were already both home educating parents when we met.  We had both been widowed and had children already.  But as far as when I first began my late husband was actually the one that brought it up. I had never even heard of home education then (early 90's).  I began the very week I heard of it.  My present hubby had never even put any of their kids in school. They learned about it much earlier than I had.

TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM

We both decided it made sense.. I mostly do the homeschooling,  but the days it get's overwelming for me he takes over so I can have a little break. 

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 6:03 PM
Yep. Heck, he is more excited about it than I am
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1Redapple
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Three years ago he did have concerns about my home schooling, but our dd is doing fine.  I'm the one struggling with keeping at it, so now he encourages me.  Today dd got invited to a friends house to make valentines, there were 5 kids there with their moms.  That is socialization.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)