Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

is your s/o or dh completly on board with your decision to homeschool?

Posted by   + Show Post

did you both decide? or was it just you? who's idea was it?

while most times my dh agrees with homeschooling, especially after watching yet another public school incident on tv, but on occasion he will ask how long are we going to home school? is he going to high school? what about his social skills? and trust my son is one of the most social people i know! while i did not even talk in school until like 8th grade! either way, just wondering if anyone else has to "prove" their point about homeschooling? i deal with it enough with relatives sometimes i feel he should just agree with me. i understand his concerns, and then research so i always have concrete things to show him. so what about you?

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Replies (21-25):
sourflower
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Yes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matt_sara_mom
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:03 PM

He is hesitant about it because he and his parents don't understand it and his mom who I love to pieces questions it often, but DH is on board with the stipulations that Jared stay at level if not above level with PS children(easy feat) We figure once Jared is doing things kinder kids can't do his mom will be on board. DH's biggest worry is Socialization so I explained there are groups we can join and with HSing we get to pick and choose who is going to have an influence on him, instead of with PS there is no choice who he will be with in his classes. My older children were HSed just for Preschool and both started Kinder already reading and doing most of what a kinder would be learning. Their father though is 100% against HSing and without his consent I didn't have a choice in the matter (divorced from him) Jared will get to be HSed and I couldn't be happier!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:22 PM
In the beginning my DH was ambivalent to HS. But after a couple of years I'd hear him bragging to people about it..lol
RDEL101
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I had to convince my husband. Oh boy did I! He's from Asia so it seemed totally nuts to him. I had to do research and show him that the kind of educational experience he wanted was not going to happen here, show him prices of private schools and statistics showing that they only do slightly better that public, and then news helped too. He also needed convincing that it was legal. He also needed convincing that we could give them a good education at home. Unschooling will never be an option for us, DH would freak! But I found a plan he loved. For social skills, since I was homeschooled it was hard for him, or anyone, to say anything about them being socially ill adept but what would we do for socialization he wanted to know. Same as me, friends in my neighborhood and church. We'll also do some lessons, like soccer or martial arts, or ballet and probably girl scouts and the like as well as volunteering. So she'll be around people a lot and have friends her age. Being exposed to large numbers isn't neccesary. I would point out to DH the unnaturalness of the 'socializing' that goes on in school. You never in real life come across something like it again. He may also be holding on to images of school as being what 'childhood' is. You may need to help him replace some of those images. The yellow school bus, the first dance, sports, prom and graduation. A lot of these can still happen in homeschooling. Research some of the homeschool groups in your area and see if they have a large homeschool graduation or prom. Also tell him about the better childhood memories homeschooling will make. Good luck!

RDEL101
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Yes, this is true too, when they see results they jump on board. I have our preschooler reading and now he just says about his skeptical friends that he can't wait to rub it in when she's older and way ahead of their kids.

What can I say, like I said he's from Asia, they're very competetive with education.

Quoting KickButtMama:

In the beginning my DH was ambivalent to HS. But after a couple of years I'd hear him bragging to people about it..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)