Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High School Language Arts

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

Searching for recommendations.  It's overwhelming!  What do you use?  What are some you've heard of?  Has anyone ever heard of Lightning Literature from Hewitt Homeschooling? 

by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Feb. 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM

ive not heard of lightning lit, but if its from hewitt hsing it must be good!

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=8081

just looked at it, looks fun!

ive used rod and staff for years

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Thank you :).  I never thought of Rod and Staff.  We had kind of a bad experience with them a few years ago.  We ordered some things at their booth at our state homeschooling convention, paying cash for the things we were able to take with us, and those we had to order because they didn't have them in stock.  We never received the items we ordered.  I might have to look at their older level materials.  Surely that was a fluke!

Quoting oredeb:

ive not heard of lightning lit, but if its from hewitt hsing it must be good!

https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=8081

just looked at it, looks fun!

ive used rod and staff for years

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:24 AM

My oldest is using BJU this year and we both think it is great. He wants to stick with it, but I would like something a little less traditional and something with more writting.

Here are some that i know of or have looked into: A Beka, Learning Language Arts Through Literature(love the looks of this), Total Language Plus, Sonlight, Shurley English, Christian Light Education, Illuminations(meant to be used along with MoH), Winters Promise, Queens, Easy Grammar Ultimate, and  ACE.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Is MoH - Mysteries of History? I looked at Illuminations yesterday and it looks absolutely wonderful!  I wasn't sure if I could use it without MoH, and we already have a core.  It's a Unit Study, I just want to have some more concrete and individual materials in English and Science for my high schooler (we already have math) :).  Thanks for all the ideas.  I am off to look them up!

Quoting swim-mom72:

My oldest is using BJU this year and we both think it is great. He wants to stick with it, but I would like something a little less traditional and something with more writting.

Here are some that i know of or have looked into: A Beka, Learning Language Arts Through Literature(love the looks of this), Total Language Plus, Sonlight, Shurley English, Christian Light Education, Illuminations(meant to be used along with MoH), Winters Promise, Queens, Easy Grammar Ultimate, and  ACE.

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting TigerofMu:

Is MoH - Mysteries of History? I looked at Illuminations yesterday and it looks absolutely wonderful!  I wasn't sure if I could use it without MoH, and we already have a core.  It's a Unit Study, I just want to have some more concrete and individual materials in English and Science for my high schooler (we already have math) :).  Thanks for all the ideas.  I am off to look them up!

Quoting swim-mom72:

Yes, it does look really good. I just cannot find anyone who has actually used it! I wanna know how they liked it. Oh, Illuminations can be used with Mystery of History OR All American History series.

Can I make a suggestion? If you already have a history core, and are wanting to find language, have you looked at just adding in good literature and getting literature guides to go wit them? Doing that would cover reading, writing, vocab and research. Look at Progeny Press for some great guides. And maybe use the reading list from Sonlight or another history program.

TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting TigerofMu:

Quoting swim-mom72:

Yes, it does look really good. I just cannot find anyone who has actually used it! I wanna know how they liked it. Oh, Illuminations can be used with Mystery of History OR All American History series.

Can I make a suggestion? If you already have a history core, and are wanting to find language, have you looked at just adding in good literature and getting literature guides to go wit them? Doing that would cover reading, writing, vocab and research. Look at Progeny Press for some great guides. And maybe use the reading list from Sonlight or another history program.

That's not a bad idea.  I had actually thought about that, and I have a background in Language Arts and in building curriculum.  My DH was worried that I would get overwhelmed because we have four kids who are currently homeschooling.  It's still something I think is interesting and might help others in the future as well...Thanks for the idea, I'll have to think about it :).

peanut06
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Lightning Lit isn't necessarily a Christian lit program, if that's what you're interested in.  Hewitt has many Christian offerings, but LL isn't one of them.  Also, at the high school level, you pick sections of language arts to cover (example, Shakespeare Tragedies and Sonnets; American Literature early to mid 19th century; Christian British Authors of the late 19th-Early 20th Centuries) whereas their 7th and 8th grade programs are more comprehensive.

Still, I do hear great things about the depth of the individual selections.  Hope you find the right program for your family :)

homeschool 

Happy momma and natural birth, homeschooling, and ERF advocate!
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Thank you for the input.  I wish I would have checked my CafeMom again before I ordered.  After spending the afternoon going through all of those, I really liked a lot of what I could see about Lightning Lit, especally the part that it's non consumable and I already have nearly all of the novels, including all of Shakespeare :). 

It looked like American Literature came in two semesters, early to mid and mid to late, and that British Literature did the same, so you could do those as freshman and sophomore years...I figured after we got that far we'd look more deeply at the other choices, though I did check everything on the lists, and there are only two books in the entire program that I can't get free on Kindle, or check out at the public library, so I'm excited about that!

I definitely think Speech is an important class, so we'll probably look seriously at that one as well!

peanut06:

Lightning Lit isn't necessarily a Christian lit program, if that's what you're interested in.  Hewitt has many Christian offerings, but LL isn't one of them.  Also, at the high school level, you pick sections of language arts to cover (example, Shakespeare Tragedies and Sonnets; American Literature early to mid 19th century; Christian British Authors of the late 19th-Early 20th Centuries) whereas their 7th and 8th grade programs are more comprehensive.

Still, I do hear great things about the depth of the individual selections.  Hope you find the right program for your family :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)