Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Technology & Learning

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 13 Replies
I know everyone lives different lifestyles. Some limit their kids tv and/or gaming and/or computer time. But I was curious what part technology plays in your day to day learning. We limit gaming & tv, but the kids love using the computer & iPad for their school work, so I don't limit those. Outside of cooperative classes, I would say the kids use technology for about 70% of their education.

How does it breakdown in your house?

Shannon
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wowguildmomma
by Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM

ours is a 50/50 as we just got a kindle fire that we have alot of thier required reading on. 

4quivers
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM

95% natural and 5% fake(technology)

The same goes for our food intake!

I know that seems an oxy-moron since I'm using tech. right now.  But this is the only way I get intelligent conversation.  I'm surrounded by cookie-cutters.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:06 AM

We work in an opposite direction.

We limit computer use for school, preferring an *actual* dictionary or encyclopedia; and we do not allow e-readers of any kind. I'm a book snob.

However, we have tons of computers (laptops and desktops), televisions, entertainment devices, gaming systems, etc. We do not limit free play with technology.

My husband works in technology. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

We work in an opposite direction.

We limit computer use for school, preferring an *actual* dictionary or encyclopedia; and we do not allow e-readers of any kind. I'm a book snob.

However, we have tons of computers (laptops and desktops), televisions, entertainment devices, gaming systems, etc. We do not limit free play with technology.

My husband works in technology. Lol.

OMG, I thought I was the only book snob! When we got the iPad my DH was all, "great, now we can get rind of all your books!" (I read about 2 books a day) but I still need the physical book in my hand. Hehehe.

And I just thought I'd add, my oldest has Aspergers, and he has difficulty w/ printed texts, do using an animated app, or watching a video, helps him a lot.
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM

We us some kind of technology for 75% of what we learn & the other 25% is using books.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:36 AM

We do not formally use the computer for schooling, but my dd9 uses it for educational games.

I discovered she has learned typing on her own--her typing is nearly as fast as mine (which is pretty fast).

Sometimes we use my laptop for sites (bird calls, etc.). I also have a Kindle we use at times. I hope to get another one just for her.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM
Quoting lucsch:

We do not formally use the computer for schooling, but my dd9 uses it for educational games.

I discovered she has learned typing on her own--her typing is nearly as fast as mine (which is pretty fast).

Sometimes we use my laptop for sites (bird calls, etc.). I also have a Kindle we use at times. I hope to get another one just for her.

I'd love to get the kids their own kindles...
TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM

our kids use the computer once in a blue moon for education.. 99% of learning is done on paper... I use the computer to find activities to print though... No computers fopr personal use till the kids are around 16 and can build their own. That will be a fun project. =) 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I should note that as of this upcoming fall, should we continue home schooling, Autumn may have to use a computer based math program. She's outgrown me. I cannot (will not) teach algebra.

I will have to give up my book/textbook snobbery for that subject. Lol.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Danielle163
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Right now, we use the computer for a small amount (just for Spanish & TT) and the rest is books, workbooks, etc. Next year might be different though as the district is offering an online curriculum free to students that are enrolled in the HSAP. But if we do go that route, we will only be using  a few subjects. DD really enjoys her TT & Singapore math.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)