Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I know everyone lives different lifestyles. Some limit their kids tv and/or gaming and/or computer time. But I was curious what part technology plays in your day to day learning. We limit gaming & tv, but the kids love using the computer & iPad for their school work, so I don't limit those. Outside of cooperative classes, I would say the kids use technology for about 70% of their education.

How does it breakdown in your house?

Shannon
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Replies (11-13):
koko369
by on Feb. 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I'd say it's 50/50, with the computer usage only for extra learning. sheppardsoftware, BrainPop, Starfall, ixl.com, pbskids, etc. My DD (5) is a sponge. She also spends a ton of time reading as well.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 16, 2012 at 8:42 AM
Our schooling is almost all technology free, it's just the materials we are using. We do use the iPad with our spelling instead of the huge board and magnets, and last week we got"jumpstart first grade" so my dd can get more comfortable with the computer.

We do still use electronics, obviously. Lol. But it's more recreational use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Technology is a tool just like any other.  It is not fake learning in any way.  We use all kinds of tools.  My boys watch TV, computer, books, and other tools they can find to learn.  The other day we watched a DVD and is inspired my son to make DOW truck out of legos. (doppler on wheels)  I really have no idea the percentage.  It just depends on what we are learning.  I love books of all kinds and I have to admit I absolutely love my nook.  It has helped me appreciate books more and not less.  I can carry a whole library in my purse and not pull a muscle in my shoulder.  I still read and love regular books.  E-readers are convenient.  Technology is a friend.  We just need to be responsible while we are using it.  Anything can be misused.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN