Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

omg! what do i do???

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM
  • 14 Replies
i have posted before (i know noone will remember me) but my dd was at a charter school doing well and i was going to start homeschooling my 1st grader tomorrow. dd was doing well (3rd grade) up until a week or 2 ago. now it sseems like they are giving her redundant work i know she knows how to do, but she is getting frustrated and taking forever since she refuses to do it. i get it, she is adhd and i wouldnt want to sit there and do repetitive work like that either. she is crying and begging me to homeschool her too. she keeps getting detention for not meeting her goals and i'm scared that she will do worse at home if i hs her. i dont want her to fall behind. i feel like if she shows me she really understands the concept then she could move on to the next thing but she is so defiant and i am scared she will just think hs is playtime. ugh, what do i do??? is there some sort of script i can get for this situation? (lol) someone HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM

You're mom so you know what to say and do best.  When you do homeschooling at home you still can run across the defiance, for me I can be very strict when they act out so the defiance phase just doesn't last long with any of my kids.

That's me, if you're not like that find your own approach.  Maybe an award system for every paper she brings home that is correct she gets a sticker, a tiny tootsie roll, or a smartie for being smart, maybe thirty minutes of computer time.  If it's attention maybe you cay say she can have half an hour of just you and her time to play anything she wants, watch something she enjoys, or bake together if she's good all school week.

If she is truly struggling to maybe remember some concepts try to have workbooks at home for her to work on in the evenings and weekends, maybe include her in some of the homeschooling so she can do both charter and homeschool at home, but make the work the stuff she is having issues in.  Good luck!

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:35 PM
the problem right now, specifically, she has 10 pages of math she is behind in. all 10 pages are the same type of math. 3 digit addition...how many pages does she really need? lol. (trying to laugh it off) oh, and it is 10 pages front and back...a little excessive imo. i tried to tell her she needs to show me durring this week that she can buckle down and try hard. if she can show me she is willing to try then so am i.

Quoting Knightquester:

You're mom so you know what to say and do best.  When you do homeschooling at home you still can run across the defiance, for me I can be very strict when they act out so the defiance phase just doesn't last long with any of my kids.

That's me, if you're not like that find your own approach.  Maybe an award system for every paper she brings home that is correct she gets a sticker, a tiny tootsie roll, or a smartie for being smart, maybe thirty minutes of computer time.  If it's attention maybe you cay say she can have half an hour of just you and her time to play anything she wants, watch something she enjoys, or bake together if she's good all school week.

If she is truly struggling to maybe remember some concepts try to have workbooks at home for her to work on in the evenings and weekends, maybe include her in some of the homeschooling so she can do both charter and homeschool at home, but make the work the stuff she is having issues in.  Good luck!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM
Wow thats alot of review to get done! My dd is in 3rd too. Right now she is doing long division and reducing fractions. She would probably go crazy if she had to do soo many simple addition/subtraction problems. If she even gets addition/subtraction problems now its very little and she has at least 4-5 numbers.No wonder your dd is not wanting to do them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM
its rediculous and with her adhd it is a fight to get her to finish. i told her she had to fnish the 11 problems she had on the page and she could be done for the night. she got home from school at 4:15 and has been working on it since then. it is now 8:05. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Oh HECK NO!  That is torture for anyone let alone a child with ADHD.I would talk to the school about an IEP. If she can do the first page with a 90% or higher, she doesn't have to do more.  That's what I do with DS. If he gets an 84% or lower, we review the concept, add a few more problems and correct the missed problems until I'm sure he understands.

My middle DS has ADHD and tried the definant stage. As PP said, we had to set ground rules and expectatoins from the start and that helped. We still had bad days.

I found that using a sticker reward chart was a huge help. We pulle dhim at the end of hte school year so we had all summer to "deschool" and we started some schoolwork before it actually started so he could get a feel for how different it would be. It took us really OVER 2 years to get him totally deschooled and enjoying learning again.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:49 PM

That is quite a bit of review.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Maybe she just feels like the amount of pages is unsurmountable?

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 10:58 PM

She completed 2 pages of math, she got every one of them right that I made her do. the 11 only took her 10 minutes so I know she understands it, she is just overwhelmed with the amount of the same thing over and over.

She has until friday at this school to show me that she is willing to work hard in order to get what she wants...she wants to be homeschooled but I had to bargain with her this way (what can I say, it works for her. LOL) She has to give it her best all week and keep her attitude in check (meaning she cannot throw herself on the floor and cry like a 2 year old like she did tonight) or she wont get to hs. A

fter I talked to her, her attitude changed and she did what I asked her to do for the night, although it is not what the teacher wanted her to finish. I already have her letter of intent to homeschool typed up and signed, I will turn it in Tuesday, her school is closed on Monday.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

its rediculous and with her adhd it is a fight to get her to finish. i told her she had to fnish the 11 problems she had on the page and she could be done for the night. she got home from school at 4:15 and has been working on it since then. it is now 8:05. :(

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:05 AM

That is way to much review work. I hope this all works out for you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)