Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
i have posted before (i know noone will remember me) but my dd was at a charter school doing well and i was going to start homeschooling my 1st grader tomorrow. dd was doing well (3rd grade) up until a week or 2 ago. now it sseems like they are giving her redundant work i know she knows how to do, but she is getting frustrated and taking forever since she refuses to do it. i get it, she is adhd and i wouldnt want to sit there and do repetitive work like that either. she is crying and begging me to homeschool her too. she keeps getting detention for not meeting her goals and i'm scared that she will do worse at home if i hs her. i dont want her to fall behind. i feel like if she shows me she really understands the concept then she could move on to the next thing but she is so defiant and i am scared she will just think hs is playtime. ugh, what do i do??? is there some sort of script i can get for this situation? (lol) someone HELP!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 14, 2012 at 8:18 PM
Replies (11-14):
lucsch
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I would encourage you to homeschool her, yes. Then, you can pick out a math curriculum that is spiral--lots of continuous review but not a lot of any one thing that drives her nuts. We use CLE (Christian Light Education). With homeschooling, YOU can determine when she "gets" something and just move on.

I hear complaints about homework, excessive work, dealing with teachers and schools. It is easier to homeschool!

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

does the school realise she is adhd?

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:29 AM
She doesn't necessarily need a spiral program. She needs a program that can advance as she is ready, not filled with busy work. Depending on the severity of the adhd, a mastery program might be better because she will get a better grasp of one thing before moving on vs. Jumping around and forgetting how to do something before you get back to it.

It really depends on the child's learning style.

Quoting lucsch:

I would encourage you to homeschool her, yes. Then, you can pick out a math curriculum that is spiral--lots of continuous review but not a lot of any one thing that drives her nuts. We use CLE (Christian Light Education). With homeschooling, YOU can determine when she "gets" something and just move on.

I hear complaints about homework, excessive work, dealing with teachers and schools. It is easier to homeschool!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM

To me, it sounds like she just gets bored easily. That is why I suggested spiral. Sounds like she is already using a mastery program at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN