Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does the government have a right to tell your child what to eat for lunch?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM
  • 5 Replies

My Kid's Lunch Is None of the Government's Business

Posted by Jenny Erikson on February 14, 2012 

lunch boxA four-year-old preschooler at West Hoke Elementary School in North Carolina opted to eat just three chicken nuggets from the school cafeteria after her own lunch was deemed ‘unhealthy’ by a state inspector.

The girl’s mother had packed her a sack lunch containing a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, potato chips, and apple juice. I’m impressed. My preschooler’s lunch usually consists of a tube of yogurt, a string cheese, Pirate’s Booty, and some sort of juice box. Kids are picky, and when she’s at school, my main concern is that she gets some sustenance. We fill in with grains, fruit, and veggies at home, because we’re her parents, and we have authority over our daughter and her diet.

That’s not the case at West Hoke, apparently. Somehow, the lunch failed to meet the U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines that state that healthy meals must include one serving of meat, one serving of milk, one serving of grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables. The Division of Child Development and Early Education at the Department of Health and Human Services requires all lunches served in pre-kindergarten programs to satisfy those requirements.

The lunch inspector decided that the girl’s lunch was unsatisfactory, and set a tray from the cafeteria in front of her. The girl chose to eat three chicken nuggets and throw the rest away. Her mother was then charged $1.25 for the hot meal.

Lunch inspector? Why is there an agent inspecting lunches? Let’s have a little common sense. Of course there should be lunch supervisors, and if they see a kid without anything to eat, they should help said kid get something to eat. They should let the child’s teacher know, and the teacher should work with the parents to find out if the lunch was forgotten, lost, traded for Pokémon cards, or nonexistent due to lack of grocery money.

There are programs available to help kids from low-income families eat, at the parents’ behest. It is not up to some random government official to judge my parenting and how I choose to feed my own child, and decide that my mothering isn’t good enough. It is none of their business what my kid eats, even if it’s Twinkies and Coca-Cola. They are mine until they’re 18, not Uncle Sam’s.

Once upon a time, there was another government that claimed, “Nutrition is not a private matter.” It was the Nazi’s. Just saying.

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
foxfaith147
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I am in shock! Just on more reason I want to homeschool.  The goverment is already in my business enough.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

No, the government shouldn't tell our kids what to eat but if you chose to put your kid in the PS you are giving the government a say in your children's lives. So if you don't want the government involved don't send your kids to the PS!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

If you use a government service, expect to be obligated to follow government rules.

Public school isn't mandatory and is a government service. If you dislike the rules, pull out and send your child to private school... or home school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

lucsch
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Crazy!

Reason 2341 to homeschool!

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 10:32 AM

no! the government doesnt have the right to tell my child or me what to eat for lunch!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN