Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What's the FAVORITE subject/material in your home school?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
  • 6 Replies

... and the LEAST favorite?

We love, love, love Ellen McHenry for science. We're doing The Elements and it rocks.

CLE Math rocks our socks as well. It is perfect and self teaching for my mathy child.

We are still searching for the perfect religion program. There seems to be very little in the way of home school Catholic materials that weren't meant to be used in a large classroom setting. Right now we're just using St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, but it's boooooring (according to Red). I think we'll switch over to making lapbooks and reading Saint stories.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
swim-mom72
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

We love, love, love Ellen McHenry for science. We're doing The Elements and it rocks.

CLE Math rocks our socks as well. It is perfect and self teaching for my mathy child.

We are still searching for the perfect religion program. There seems to be very little in the way of home school Catholic materials that weren't meant to be used in a large classroom setting. Right now we're just using St. Joseph's Baltimore Catechism, but it's boooooring (according to Red). I think we'll switch over to making lapbooks and reading Saint stories.

I have never heard of Ellen McHenry. What do you like about her material? What sets it apart from the other things you have tried? I am currently looking for a better fit in science for my soon to be 7th grade son.

As far as your trouble finding a religion course that better accomodates your needs, what have you tried so far? I seem to remember you mentioning Seton in a past post. Of course, that seems to be the main staple for the Catholic homeschoolers that I know. But I have heard of Catholic Heritage and Adoremus Books?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The favorite thing to do is all/any science experiments.

The least favorite thing is writing.

oredeb
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM

nature study is our favorite!! we love going outside with our drawing pads and camera!!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Quoting swim-mom72:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I have never heard of Ellen McHenry. What do you like about her material? What sets it apart from the other things you have tried? I am currently looking for a better fit in science for my soon to be 7th grade son.

As far as your trouble finding a religion course that better accomodates your needs, what have you tried so far? I seem to remember you mentioning Seton in a past post. Of course, that seems to be the main staple for the Catholic homeschoolers that I know. But I have heard of Catholic Heritage and Adoremus Books?

Ellen McHenry is for the child who loves science. I'm not sure it would work for a child who doesn't care for science - although it made a science lover out of me! She is great about explaining advanced scientific concepts in a way even children can understand - and she does it without sounding condescending. Her books are just the right mix of reading (entertaining and engaging) and activities. I love that it isn't experiment heavy, frankly. Life with a toddler doesn't mesh well with tons of chemical heavy experiments. Last night we played a game she included in her book (she supplies all copy materials for her games) called the Jar Game. It was a blast and sure enough, by the end of it, Autumn had memorized more of the periodic table (the purpose of the game). My husband holds degrees in science fields and he more than approves of this curriculum (really, it's the first one he's been sincerely *happy* about).

ETA: I should add that this science program is secular that I'm aware of (which is our preference). So that may be a determining factor for some.

Religion... the problem is finding a course that isn't boring. She's at an age where she questions everything and doing a dreadfully boring catechism isn't fitting the bill. We've used Seton (boring!) and Faith and Life (staple of CHC and every Catholic school) which was, again, boring and repetitive. I think we'll take a year off of formal catechism studies and concentrate more on memorizing prayers, praying the rosary, making lap book about the saints... and having her "teach" her almost 3 year old brother from our Catholic children's encyclopedia.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting mem82:

The favorite thing to do is all/any science experiments.

The least favorite thing is writing.

Ah. I feel you on writing. It's dreaded here as well. We're currently dredging through a third grade writing book (she's dyslexic).

swim-mom72
by on Feb. 15, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Since I have 2, and they each use various materials, I will answer for each child.

For my oldest, Apologia Science has been rock solid from the beginning. He is very driven and wants to go into PA school or full med school, so this is a great fit for him. My least favorite for him has been A Beka language, because he seemed to retain very little that year. His least favorite was Story of the World.

For my youngest, Queens Language has been a fantastic addition to his language program. For him, Story of the World (his brother's least favorite) has been a highlight and he loves it. Least successful, by a mile, has been Alpha Omega history....ugh!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN