Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Curriculum

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM
  • 24 Replies
I have been looking at a few different curriculums, oak meadow, abeka and Calvert. I was wondering if anyone had used any of these and what you thought of them and any info you can give on them, etc.
Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NathansmomEmmie
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:04 PM

I use Abeka for k-5 and I like it.  My son is a little over half way through the year and can read pretty well, add, count to 100 by 1s, 5s, and 10s and alot of other stuff.  It has alot of worksheets, but we just dont do them all. 

oredeb
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM

ive used bits and pieces of abeka,

great science, history, little phonics reading booklets, handbook of reading is good, i like there language arts ,

abbysmom028
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

I dont use any of those we dont have a curriculum all I have is workbooks

Always06
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:16 PM
What is their science like? Is it very bible based, or secular?

Quoting oredeb:

ive used bits and pieces of abeka,

great science, history, little phonics reading booklets, handbook of reading is good, i like there language arts ,

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Always06
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM
What workbooks do you use? My daughter loves workbooks

Quoting abbysmom028:

I dont use any of those we dont have a curriculum all I have is workbooks

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
abbysmom028
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Its syliibles and basic kindergarden math TLSB. com

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Each Child is unique, and one size never fits all.  Before spending any money on curriculum know your child's learning style.   It cab save you tons of money.

At This Link: you will be able to view 4 videos for free so you can determine which fits your child best.  It gives you links to learn more about how they learn...also free  Different Learning Styles

Studies show that young children learn best while at play and real life experiences.  So much of your teaching can be free.  Here is an article that explains:  How To Home School

4quivers
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM

A Beka is very much Christian based and far from secular.  Oak Meadow looked wonderful but I have never used. 

Take the time to research and maybe borrow from another HS mom to check things out.  This has saved me TONS of money.  All my research allows me to make my own.

Quote:

Each Child is unique, and one size never fits all.  Before spending any money on curriculum know your child's learning style.  

calimom1123
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM
We use abeka. We like it so far. Dd is in 3rd. Its fast paced so great for quick learners.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 2:41 PM
I'm in the same boat as you... trying to decide. I don't think I'll use anything "formal" for science, art, history, etc. But would like something more structured for math & reading/spelling.

I'm torn between math u see and Abeka math.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)