Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have been looking at a few different curriculums, oak meadow, abeka and Calvert. I was wondering if anyone had used any of these and what you thought of them and any info you can give on them, etc.
Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM
Replies (21-24):
Saraho5
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM
No, I need to look into Horizons.
Can you tell me a little about what you like & what you don't like (if anything)?

Thx!

Quoting vsjc:

My girls do great with Horizons math. Have you checked it out?

Quoting Saraho5:

I'm in the same boat as you... trying to decide. I don't think I'll use anything "formal" for science, art, history, etc. But would like something more structured for math & reading/spelling.

I'm torn between math u see and Abeka math.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vsjc
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM
What my girls like is that in each lesson they do a variety of concepts instead of, say, subtraction for 2 weeks. It uses the spiral method of learning where new things are added, and old things are repeated, daily. They master without even realizing it, and don't get bored. Also, I like Horizons because it's thorough and does a great job preparing for harder math courses. Algebra, for example, is introduced slowly at 3rd grade. My daughter actually thinks it's fun, and later, when she takes a complete Algebra course, she won't be afraid of it.
What I don't care for are some of the exercises in the Teacher's manual to do before the lessons. They are usually unnecessary. Both of my girls can usually complete a lesson with little interference from me.
There are also pages in the back of the manual to print off for extra practice, and two minute drills. These are helpful when we need a little more work on certain areas.
Hope this helps!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vsjc
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM
I forgot to quote you last time. Please check out my previous reply! Thanks

Quoting Saraho5:

No, I need to look into Horizons.

Can you tell me a little about what you like & what you don't like (if anything)?

Thx!

Quoting vsjc:

My girls do great with Horizons math. Have you checked it out?

Quoting Saraho5:

I'm in the same boat as you... trying to decide. I don't think I'll use anything "formal" for science, art, history, etc. But would like something more structured for math & reading/spelling.

I'm torn between math u see and Abeka math.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I have used ABeka for almost 20 yrs.  I use a wide mixture of things but still use quite abit of their material. They are an excellent curriculum.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN