Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those kids that went to public school...

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
  • 15 Replies
before they were homeschooled...

Was there a lot of backlash once the homeschooling began? Do they ever say they want to go back? I worry about this with my daughter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
My son was over the moon happy when I told him we would be homeschooling. That was 3 years ago and he would cry if we made him go back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM
That's good to hear! I don't think my daughter will give me too much grief. But, on those "boring" days, I worry she's going to complain & insist on going back. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:50 PM

I firmly believe it is selfish to pull a child out of a school they are flourishing in, just because a parent "dreams of homeschooling". I am NOT saying that is you at all - just that I have seen it more than once. When this happens, backlash is deserved. IMO.

With that said, Autumn was in Catholic school and then in public school. She was pulled due to a decline in her academic performance and very intense bullying/sexual harassment in the fourth grade. It was mutual; she didn't want to go back. She may go back to Catholic (never public again, if I can help it) middle of next year or the year after... if she chooses. There was no backlash when I pulled her out because she wanted it.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Saraho5
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:59 PM
My dd wants to homeschool too, but she's young so I'm afraid she'll say she misses her friends, etc.

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:17 PM
Julia went to public kinder last year. She doesn't want to go back, but she does say she misses so and so every once in a while. There were a few we didn't get their phone number the last day of school. one little boy she absolutely loved, he treated her horribly! Lol! So I somehow lost his number... ;)
Besides the friends, there isn't anything she really talks about. We had a valentines party with our homeschool group today, which made her really happy. Sometimes I worry she will miss those fun little things.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM
I involved my daughter in the decision. I'm not saying it was really up to her, but I let her know about it, and helped her see that it was a good thing. It didn't take much. Lol
One thing we did that I highly recommend is to make a pros and cons list WITH the child. Be prepared with some of both incase they don't contribute at first. We did pros and cons of homeschool, of private school, and of public school. She chose homeschool on her own, but we would have done it anyway. The other two wouldn't have worked in our situation. The cons list was far too long, and those were important things.

Quoting Saraho5:

My dd wants to homeschool too, but she's young so I'm afraid she'll say she misses her friends, etc.

:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM
My boys were really struggling...one because of a learning disability the school refused to acknowledge, the other was beat up and bullied. I didn't know the extent of the bullying until I announced I was pulling DS2 for the academic issues and DS1 BEGGED to be allowed to homeschool too.

We have had really hard days, and the kids have NEVER asked to go back. They have said once or twice it would be fun to have recess with friends so on those days we go to the park. Problem solved.

If they wanted to go back I would allow it but I would never force them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM
Every once in a while ds asked about his 'friends' but when I dug deeper he just needed a play break, so we would meet up with other kids. Usually stopped the asking and any other unwanted behaviors that were happening that day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Missie had a few tears a few months in because she needed more social opportunities. I worked on that and it was smooth sailing ever since. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Just remember, public kids complain about going to school! LOL Kids are going to complain one way or the other. It's our job as parents to distract, LISTEN, and shake things up on those days, not to practice democracy. LOL Look at the 'whine' decide if it has merit, decide if there is something you can do to demonstrate you are listening to them and then maybe plan a field trip to get them out of the house. BUT at the end of the day, YOU are the parent and you make the choice. Same thing you would do if they were going to public and woke and said, "But, Mooooom, I don't want to go to school today! Can't I just stay home?" lol

Quoting Saraho5:

That's good to hear! I don't think my daughter will give me too much grief. But, on those "boring" days, I worry she's going to complain & insist on going back. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)