Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those kids that went to public school...

Posted by   + Show Post
before they were homeschooled...

Was there a lot of backlash once the homeschooling began? Do they ever say they want to go back? I worry about this with my daughter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Replies (11-15):
Homeschoolmom99
by Member on Feb. 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM
Its been seven years and last week Ant would not do his work so my wife got him a tour at the local JR high and he made up his own homeschool contract!

Quoting bmw29:

My son was over the moon happy when I told him we would be homeschooling. That was 3 years ago and he would cry if we made him go back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 3:27 PM
We did pros an cons... The only thing she came up with as a con was missing her friends. BUT then added that she can make new ones!
Oh, & another con she mentioned was days the baby is cranky. LOL

Quoting Boobah:

I involved my daughter in the decision. I'm not saying it was really up to her, but I let her know about it, and helped her see that it was a good thing. It didn't take much. Lol

One thing we did that I highly recommend is to make a pros and cons list WITH the child. Be prepared with some of both incase they don't contribute at first. We did pros and cons of homeschool, of private school, and of public school. She chose homeschool on her own, but we would have done it anyway. The other two wouldn't have worked in our situation. The cons list was far too long, and those were important things.

Quoting Saraho5:

My dd wants to homeschool too, but she's young so I'm afraid she'll say she misses her friends, etc.

:)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Saraho5
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM
True!

I'm going to make sure the kiddos have time to do activities!

Quoting mem82:

Just remember, public kids complain about going to school! LOL Kids are going to complain one way or the other. It's our job as parents to distract, LISTEN, and shake things up on those days, not to practice democracy. LOL Look at the 'whine' decide if it has merit, decide if there is something you can do to demonstrate you are listening to them and then maybe plan a field trip to get them out of the house. BUT at the end of the day, YOU are the parent and you make the choice. Same thing you would do if they were going to public and woke and said, "But, Mooooom, I don't want to go to school today! Can't I just stay home?" lol

Quoting Saraho5:

That's good to hear! I don't think my daughter will give me too much grief. But, on those "boring" days, I worry she's going to complain & insist on going back. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1Redapple
by on Feb. 19, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The program we use: K12.com, has so much to do, there is no way to not have anything to do.  There are all kinds of clubs and extra enrichment work that I could get my dd into if she was bored with school. 

There are days when she doesn't want to co-operate and I have to say, if you aren't going to work here, you'll have to go back to school.  That reminder always brings her back around to doing her work.

Quoting Saraho5:

That's good to hear! I don't think my daughter will give me too much grief. But, on those "boring" days, I worry she's going to complain & insist on going back. lol

lovinlife0607
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM

We aren't homeschooling until April but we are doing it because of a move we need to make for me to go to nursing school.  When my husband and I mentioned it to her that I would be her new teacher and we can learn together at home, she was super excited.  I'm hoping that continues.  As far as missing her friends...we are moving about 2 hours away and she understand she is leaving her friends from public school here but I plan on getting her in soccer (she KEEPS asking about doing it again this year) and there's playgroups/HS co ops at churches in the new area so she will make new friends and still get to play with other kids. :)  (other than moving at an odd time, we are HSing bc the school district is gosh aweful where we are moving...)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)