Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have a decent library close by?

Posted by   + Show Post

There's nothing like a good library!

by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:27 AM
Replies (21-29):
Camey82
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yes! Ours is brand spanking new and it's a 10 minute walk from our house! We are SOOO lucky! I'm gonna hate moving for that reason alone! Luckily that's still another two years away.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

love it!

Quoting jessradtke:

I can't tell you how much I love our libraries! The libraries and the parks are two of the big perks of living where we do. We live just outside a small rural town, but we have a library within walking or biking distance from our house. It's the smallest of the ones we visit regularly, but the staff is so friendly and we just like hanging out there, especially in the summer. There's a park right next door, so we often go to the park first and then go to the library when we get too hot. All the libraries in our county also have a reciprocal lending program, so I can go to any library in my county and check out books. My daughter has Girl Scouts at one library. It's also close to where I bank and do my shopping, so it's very convenient. And my son takes classes at yet another library, so we check out books from those three libraries pretty much every week. They all have very different collections, so between them all it's like having a huge central library. And if we can't find something at those libraries, the staff will borrow it from another library for us. The libraries have saved me a TON of money over the years.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I would love to live within walking distance of a library!

Quoting Camey82:

Yes! Ours is brand spanking new and it's a 10 minute walk from our house! We are SOOO lucky! I'm gonna hate moving for that reason alone! Luckily that's still another two years away.

vsjc
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM
Our library is very small. My kids never find anything interesting, and the librarians are rude. It seems to cater to the public school. We are the only homeschoolers in town. We use the internet a lot, and the kindle, and their tablets.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Yes, we do. Our county has a big downtown library with many branches, one of which is 3 miles away. I can get online and get any book, DVD, CD, game sent from any one of the library branches to my local one. They have many classes for kids. The main library has a wonderful geneology department.

Recently, I started using their ebook and audiobook service. What a great way to check out books!

oredeb
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM

yes a very good one!!

Christine0813
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM

We have an excellent library! Kids love it.

soy_latte
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM
We are located directly between Seattle and Olympia and have easy access to dozens of libraries both big and small. We have a fairly small one here in town, within walking distance, that is cute and cozy. The boys like it, anyhow.

We have a bookstore even closer and a pretty massive collection of children's books ourselves - they still love the idea of checking things out. We go to a lot of programs (Puppet shows, reptile petting zoo, author day, etc.) they offer. In the summer we like to sit on the benches behind it and read the books they choose. Mostly so I can drop them right back in the slot and not have to remember to return them. Haha.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:08 PM

We have a small library about a block for my house, so we are able to walk or ride our bikes to the library.  In the summer, they have a great reading program for the kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)