Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science and social studies ideas for 3rd and 1st grade?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 18 Replies
anyone have any ideas for these grades? i am not using any set curriculum. we are using workbooks for math and language arts but we really have nothing for science and social studies. i was going to do something on caves and then take the kids to a cave after we learned about it. after that i have nothing planned. i want to get some ideas that are good for both of their ages to learn together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I just pick a subject and then google an experiment for it, watch a youtube video like Bill Nye and print some worksheets out.

how about weather, clouds, rain, volcanos, types of matter, chemical reaction, electric

presidents, state history, the Oregon Trail, Native Americans from your state, inventors

Saraho5
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:00 PM
You could do something along the lines of "community helpers". My son could talk about fire trucks & garbage trucks all day long. But, you could dive farther into it.. Talking about recycling, visit a fire station, etc..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM
I finally decided to look at my "what your first grader needs to know" book and wish I'd have done it sooner. It's a great guide for topics they should be learning about, then just add in library books and projects to go with it! I got mine super cheap at half price books here locally (a used book store). I have one for next year too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:03 PM

You could read aloud from Story of the World *or* A Child's History of the World. SOTW has an activity guide with narration idead, supplemental reading suggestions, experiements, projects, and coloring sheets. The first book (Ancient Times) would work for your ages.

For science... Real Science 4 Kids pre-level.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:41 PM
i'm not good with the acronyms yet. what is SOTW?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could read aloud from Story of the World *or* A Child's History of the World. SOTW has an activity guide with narration idead, supplemental reading suggestions, experiements, projects, and coloring sheets. The first book (Ancient Times) would work for your ages.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Story of the World (for the classical child). It is four books: Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is sold as paperback or hardback and is a narrative history of the world (written as a story for children). Each book also has an activity book sold separately. You can group your children together using this curriculum - cost and time effective. There ARE tests if you choose to use them for your third grader.

ETA: We do not teach social studies. We teach history.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

life cycles ( a fun experiment is catching a caterpillar, just make sure its not poisonous as larvae or butterfly, and have them document the caterpillar's growth, the chyrsalis growth, and butterly stage, or matching adults with their babies since they usually have different names - joey/kangaroo, puppy/dog, kitten/cat etc)
parts of plants (plant life cycles work too)
I don't know what it'd be classified under exactly but basically earth rotation - go outside at various times of day during a week and have each kid trace their shadow. They need to stand on the same spot everytime.
Planets are always fun
Recylcing
Natural/Man made
Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Weathering & Erosion
Minerals
Force & Motion
Weather & water cycle
Solid/Liquid/Gas
Sound waves (its fun to pull out a slinky to show how sound waves look, or even multiple musical string instruments and pluck the strings to see the different vibrations)

for social studies
Citizenship - ways to be a good citizen/help in a community
Patriotism/Holidays
Compare and Contrast Rules and Laws
Importance of Government at Country/State/City level
Budgeting
Supply and Demand
Taxes
Treasure Maps (For geography and map reading)

Those are all different topics on the CSO I use for those 2 subjects.  Each grade basically goes over the same thing for a few years, just more into it each year.
This is where I get ideas from: http://wveis.k12.wv.us/Teach21/public/cso/cso.cfm

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM
omg i feel silly now. lol. i guess i was distracted when reading that. haha.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Story of the World (for the classical child). It is four books: Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is sold as paperback or hardback and is a narrative history of the world (written as a story for children). Each book also has an activity book sold separately. You can group your children together using this curriculum - cost and time effective. There ARE tests if you choose to use them for your third grader.

ETA: We do not teach social studies. We teach history.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:10 AM
We use abeka ss and science. I like it because we can read it together and you dont have to go by lesson plans or do tests. Those come separate. We read through all the chapters together and discuss. It even has a few simple experiment ideas which weve done. The books themselves are cheap. I dont get all the extras.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allornone
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:18 AM
Hand washing. Buy some glogerm.

Water wheels

Volcanoes --take a pizza lid. Cut liter pop bottle top off. Get some spray foam and make circles around the bottle and spray paint. Use food coloring and dye the vinegar and add add the soda.

How to tell if a egg is hard boiled or not? A hard boiled egg and non boiled stylus Will have different speeds.

Coke and diet cook in a bucket one floats one does not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)