Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science and social studies ideas for 3rd and 1st grade?

anyone have any ideas for these grades? i am not using any set curriculum. we are using workbooks for math and language arts but we really have nothing for science and social studies. i was going to do something on caves and then take the kids to a cave after we learned about it. after that i have nothing planned. i want to get some ideas that are good for both of their ages to learn together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Replies (11-18):
wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Well what do they want to learn about?  Social Studies is basically history, government, geography, civics. 

Science:

Animals, Caves (as you planned on doing), Friendship, Shapes, Me and My Family, Community, Volcanoes, Shadows, Rainbows, Solar System/Outerspace, Ocean, Earth, Human Body, Worms, Gardening, Atoms and Molecules, Magnets, Trains and Airplanes, Cars and Buses, Electricity, All About Me, Plants, Weather, Seasons

Social Studies:

Presidents, Plate Tectonics for the 3rd grader, Mayflower (I did this in 3rd grade-for our field trip we went to see the replica of the Mayflower in Columbus, OH-, Three Branches of Government, Native Americans, Oregon Trail, your state's history or other states' history, Prehistoric America

You can get Bill Nye the Science Guy (Shame that show got taken off, I can't find it on DVD) clips on Youtube.  You could play "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego for Social Studies (that covers geography which is part of Social Studies)

Camey82
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I don't know if you include history and geography with scocial studies", but if so you can do land masses and as a project make a topographical map. I plan to review land masses where we use a large piece of cardboard and clay (and paint) to add each land/water mass to the diagram after we learn about it.

Once completed, it makes a great toy for a while for little dinosaurs and things like that which then leads to a great study of dinosaurs and archaeology and such. We ordered one of those eggs that you have to carefully scrape away at to reveal the dinosaur bones and then put the model together afterward. 

I'm new to traditional home schooling (we were under a public online school) and there's so much more freedom this way!

oredeb
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM

first grade science and social studies

Holidays, traditions, and customs
* Our American Heritage
* Different cultures at different times
* Family, school, neighborhood, community
* Farm and zoo
* Neighborhood helpers
* Jobs and careers
* Social skills and responsibilities
* Basic geography terms
* Making and reading a simple neighborhood map

Science

* Grouping and classification
* Living and nonliving things
* Animals
* Pets
* Farm animals
* Zoo and circus animals
* Woodland animals
* Common birds
* Plant and animal habitats
* Seeds, bulbs, plants, flowers
* Weather and seasons
* Day and night
* Solids, liquids, gases
* Air and water
* Magnets
* Fire and temperature
* Sun, moon, stars, planets
* Simple machines
* Beginning experimentation

fifth grade science and social studies

Social Studies

* Exploration and discovery
* Establishment of settlements in the New World
* Colonial life in America
* Pioneer life in America
* Revolutionary War in America
* Westward movement in America
* Industrial and cultural growth
* Democracy's principles and documents
* Life in the U. S. and its possessions
* Geography of the U. S.
* Natural resources of the U. S.
* Canada and Mexico
* Relationship between the U. S. and Canada
* Comparative cultures of Canada
* Countries and cultures of the Western Hemisphere: Central America, West Indies, South America
* Map and globe skills

Science

* Biological adaptations
* Biotic communities
* Animal and plant classification
* Fish
* Reptiles
* Bacteria
* Molds
* Trees
* Plants and their food
* Conservation
* Cells
* Human body
* Landforms
* Properties of air and water
* Time and seasons
* Temperature and thermometers
* Magnetic fields
* Use and control of electricity
* Conduction and convection
* Light and optics
* Force systems
* Chemical systems
* Sun and solar system
* Space and space exploration

momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:28 PM
these are all great ideas. thanks ladies! that gives me alot to work with. we are not using any set curriculun and we just started hsing so right now we are trying to fall into a schedule with reviewing basics thats they have learned at ps (i am reviewing due to handwritting issues and other problems i am sure you all understand what i have to get them to un-learn. lol) i think for the rest of this year we will work on the basics and touch a little on many topics and see where their interests are and go from there. i was also going to have them help plan our family trip back home. we are living in tx but from mo, so they will have a project by planning our stops and finding things to do along the way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
livinghealthy
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Since you are doing caves, what about adding in some lessons on bats.  There has been recent news about the decline of the brown bats.

oredeb
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

fun!!!! sounds like a good time!

Quoting momof3inapril09:

these are all great ideas. thanks ladies! that gives me alot to work with. we are not using any set curriculun and we just started hsing so right now we are trying to fall into a schedule with reviewing basics thats they have learned at ps (i am reviewing due to handwritting issues and other problems i am sure you all understand what i have to get them to un-learn. lol) i think for the rest of this year we will work on the basics and touch a little on many topics and see where their interests are and go from there. i was also going to have them help plan our family trip back home. we are living in tx but from mo, so they will have a project by planning our stops and finding things to do along the way.

amommyslife03
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:33 PM

we just started this yesterday book 1 and my kids love it so far and the chapers are about 4-5 pages long if that n the book is small so it dosent take long to read a chaper n have them answer the questions in the activity book and it helps them so they have to pay attition or they wont know the answers   my guys are in 5th,3rd,1st, n pre k

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Story of the World (for the classical child). It is four books: Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is sold as paperback or hardback and is a narrative history of the world (written as a story for children). Each book also has an activity book sold separately. You can group your children together using this curriculum - cost and time effective. There ARE tests if you choose to use them for your third grader.

ETA: We do not teach social studies. We teach history.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

i'm not good with the acronyms yet. what is SOTW?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could read aloud from Story of the World *or* A Child's History of the World. SOTW has an activity guide with narration idead, supplemental reading suggestions, experiements, projects, and coloring sheets. The first book (Ancient Times) would work for your ages.

For science... Real Science 4 Kids pre-level.

Wife to my wonderful hubby David and mom to my awsome 4 kids                                       David Jr.,Matthew,Emmalee,& Kristin

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Bingo. My 10 year old hated it; but she is NOT an auditory learner, nor does she care for "projects", so the curriculum simply wasn't suited to HER needs. I think it's a great curriculum in general and can't wait to try it again with my now 2 year old. Lol. One day.

Quoting amommyslife03:

we just started this yesterday book 1 and my kids love it so far and the chapers are about 4-5 pages long if that n the book is small so it dosent take long to read a chaper n have them answer the questions in the activity book and it helps them so they have to pay attition or they wont know the answers   my guys are in 5th,3rd,1st, n pre k

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Story of the World (for the classical child). It is four books: Ancient Times, Middle Ages, Early Modern, and Modern. Each book is sold as paperback or hardback and is a narrative history of the world (written as a story for children). Each book also has an activity book sold separately. You can group your children together using this curriculum - cost and time effective. There ARE tests if you choose to use them for your third grader.

ETA: We do not teach social studies. We teach history.

Quoting momof3inapril09:

i'm not good with the acronyms yet. what is SOTW?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You could read aloud from Story of the World *or* A Child's History of the World. SOTW has an activity guide with narration idead, supplemental reading suggestions, experiements, projects, and coloring sheets. The first book (Ancient Times) would work for your ages.

For science... Real Science 4 Kids pre-level.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN