Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you frugal?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM
  • 31 Replies
Not only in homeschooling, but in general?

I try to be, and am getting better. We have a few things we want to save up for, so we are trying to stay on track.

I was so excited today when we went to the grocery and stuck to my meal plan/list getting food for 13 days (all meals and snacks) for $112.00. It would have been less, but dh needed to bring something to work for fat Tuesday. (obviously we will need to go back for things like milk)

What frugal things do you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saraho5
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM
I think I'm pretty frugal. My son has a gluten/wheat allergy, so I do tend to splurge on groceries. But, I breastfeed & cloth diaper my baby. That's being frugal, right?!
Also, I really don't go crazy clothes shopping.

I'll have to think some more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 20, 2012 at 9:28 PM
We cloth diaper and breastfeed also - HUGE money saver for us, especially with new baby coming in June. :)

Another thing for us is energy. We unplug everything and keep lights off we aren't using. I try not to use lights during the day unless I have to. We added a storm door to the front to helpmwith energy efficiency also, and wrapped our heating/air ducts in silver bubble type insulation. Lol. Our water pipes are now insulated also. I have to say, it has definitely made a difference.

Quoting Saraho5:

I think I'm pretty frugal. My son has a gluten/wheat allergy, so I do tend to splurge on groceries. But, I breastfeed & cloth diaper my baby. That's being frugal, right?!

Also, I really don't go crazy clothes shopping.

I'll have to think some more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
4quivers
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Open can of worms . . . . .

Family of 6 boys, 1 mum.  1 income $13,000 income last year and 0 debt.  DH owns his own cabinet business, we garden, preserve, forage, make my own cleaners and shop locally (no walmart, lowe's, or homedepot for 60miles, but I wouldn't shop there anyway because they killed MOM and POP!) 

BRING THEM BACK! START YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

I make all of my food from scratch unless I just had a baby, (husband can't cook unless you can heat it up in the oven, we do NOT have a microwave) Crackers, bread, pitas, and cookies are so much tastier anyway!

You call it frugal, I call it simple.  If I want something, I do it myself and don't go to someone elso to do it for me.  Why have a middle man making money off of what you can do for yourself?  Example :  A very expensive vegetable fertilizer is sold everywhere. . . . . . . It's nothing more then molasses and water. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Not really

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

P.N._Guin
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I make most everything we eat from scratch. That saves quite a bit of money. I also make soaps, detergents, and cleaners for the home.

I started cloth diapering to save money also, but.... I'm crazy addicted now, and spend FAR more on dipes than I should.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM

yes we are sorta  frugal, not as much as i use to be!, with homeschooling and life!

in the kitchen, we grow our own food, i have a compost, i can, dry, or freeze it, save seeds, grow my own starts

cook from scratch, roast our own coffee beans,

we hunt for most of our meat,fish,birds, crab, clams, etc

i have a nicely stocked pantry so dont spend to much time at the grocery store, maybe once or twice a month depending

i make our own handsoaps, shampoo, laundry detergent, cleaners, etc

when the kids were young i sewed everything, clothes, blankets, diapers, towels, dish clothes, i breast feed them all, made their baby food, etc now i just do the dish clothes adn blankets!

we do our own upgrades( right now its wood floors we are installing) saved lots and lots of money!

we do our own car repairs(also saves lots!)

cont. from last night, had to stop, tired!

when i give gifts i try to make them 

i make bread , soap, jewerly to sell , sale plants(seasonal) whenever i can

theres also some things my dh will not be frugal on! hahahah

we have to buy new pants, shirts, and shoes for his work, he has to go to the hair cut place and get a professional haircut!(im no good at it)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I'm frugal about some things, and not so much others.

I try to save money on clothes and food, but make sure that the gear my kids use for scouts and karate are on the above average side. I will NOT say that I buy "top of the line" but I don't buy "bottom of the barrel"  either. KWIM? 

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of the things they use in Scouts can mean life or death if therewere an emergency on an outing so I make sure hey have stuff that is on the upper side of adequate.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Quoting oredeb:
when the kids were young i sewed everything, clothes, blankets, diapers, towels, dish clothes, i breast feed them all, made their baby food, etc now i just do the dish clothes adn blankets!

I don't know where you are, but here it costs more to sew your own clothes than it does to go to a store and buy them. It's really sad. I LOVE the clothes my Mom makes for the kids but she just can't afford it as much as when I was young.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:13 AM
I agree, and I do run an online retail business (for cloth diapers and accessories, Eco friendly items) which brings in a little extra throughout the year. I don't have time to make it grow like I would like. It's pretty competitive in the online cloth business.

I'm working on the food thing. I just get overwhelmed with the time it involves.

And I also agree with the DIY. I was pretty proud of myself when I fixed the furnace a week or two ago myself. Unfortunately we are paying a friend to fix dh's car because he isn't good at cars. I hate paying for labor.

Quoting 4quivers:

Open can of worms . . . . .

Family of 6 boys, 1 mum.  1 income $13,000 income last year and 0 debt.  DH owns his own cabinet business, we garden, preserve, forage, make my own cleaners and shop locally (no walmart, lowe's, or homedepot for 60miles, but I wouldn't shop there anyway because they killed MOM and POP!) 

BRING THEM BACK! START YOUR OWN BUSINESS!

I make all of my food from scratch unless I just had a baby, (husband can't cook unless you can heat it up in the oven, we do NOT have a microwave) Crackers, bread, pitas, and cookies are so much tastier anyway!

You call it frugal, I call it simple.  If I want something, I do it myself and don't go to someone elso to do it for me.  Why have a middle man making money off of what you can do for yourself?  Example :  A very expensive vegetable fertilizer is sold everywhere. . . . . . . It's nothing more then molasses and water. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 21, 2012 at 8:15 AM
The cost of fabric has gone through the roof lately. as a wahm who sews, it's barely worth it to make/sell items anymore. :( but I do remember my mom making my clothes. I still make my girls clothes for special things (thanksgiving I made them cute matching pants!) and my oldest is super tall and skinny so if I want her to have pants that fit, I make them.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Quoting oredeb:

I don't know where you are, but here it costs more to sew your own clothes than it does to go to a store and buy them. It's really sad. I LOVE the clothes my Mom makes for the kids but she just can't afford it as much as when I was young.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)