Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Newbie - to homeschooling & Cafe Mom!

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hello -waves-

I'm new to the board and will be starting my oldest daughter in Kindergarten in the fall. My oldest is 5 and I also have a 3 year old and 8 month old. I'm a full time student myself but luckily I only go to campus 2 days a week :)

I'm completely new to homeschooling, and attended public school my entire life, so this will be very new to me. I'm trying to get myself into a daily routine with my kids with a Preschool or Pre-K kind of thing, but having a hard time being consistant. If anyone has any idea's for lesson plans and activities that are free/cheap and planned out week by week (or even month by month) that would be a huge help! If I could just get an idea of what exactly my kids should know before I start them in Kindergarten that would be a huge help :)

My oldest daughter will be doing a k-12 program from home called Utah Virtual Acadamy or something similar to that. It's homeschool, but she still has to record her attendance, turn in assignments online, and has a "teacher" that will grade her work and help me with what she needs to work on.

I hope to get lots of idea's from this board and also hope to have success stories to share with you along the way. Wish me luck and if you're the praying type - I could use those too!

by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:51 AM

If you like I can give you my Preschool-Kindergarten theme that I had to do for my fourth semester of Penn Foster College. Just leave a reply or message me with your email address and I will send it to you.  If you like I can also send you my Butterflies theme once I get that done as well.

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

As a home school workshop leader, I tell moms that home school is not the class room. Children (especially young children) learn best through play and real life experiences.  So most of your curriculum can be free, and connected to your daily schedule (cooking, traveling, going for walks, shopping, etc)  Any curriculum you purchase depends on your child's learning style, and your abilities.  The following article explains:

How To Home School

For many ideas and lesson plans...free... here is a link with lots of ideas and resources:  Educators Resources

For Grade level requirements, click this link:  Grade Level Requirements

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM

welcome!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Welcome!

Be prepared for the online school to be quite a bit of work. It's a different method of homeschooling than what would be considered traditional. Don't get discouraged! 8)

Good luck!

LdsSnappinMom3
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Quoting romacox:

As a home school workshop leader, I tell moms that home school is not the class room. Children (especially young children) learn best through play and real life experiences.  So most of your curriculum can be free, and connected to your daily schedule (cooking, traveling, going for walks, shopping, etc)  Any curriculum you purchase depends on your child's learning style, and your abilities.  The following article explains:

How To Home School

For many ideas and lesson plans...free... here is a link with lots of ideas and resources:  Educators Resources

For Grade level requirements, click this link:  Grade Level Requirements

Thank you for the links! I will definitely be checking them out!

LdsSnappinMom3
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Quoting wanderingwolf:

If you like I can give you my Preschool-Kindergarten theme that I had to do for my fourth semester of Penn Foster College. Just leave a reply or message me with your email address and I will send it to you.  If you like I can also send you my Butterflies theme once I get that done as well.

I would love to have copies! Thank you so much! My email is jeanettaroberts@gmail.com

oredeb
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:10 PM

welcome snappinmom!!!

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

welcome!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)