Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I'm afraid to post this because I may jinx myself.

Posted by   + Show Post
But things have been going really well! The morning sickness is practically gone (after 25 weeks. Lol) and my energy is somewhat returning. I have more desire to do things and get back on track. We have even been doubling up on math to make up for the 3 weeks we spent when we switched to life of Fred (we are back to Saxon).

Now if I can just keep it up!! No more road blocks - please!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM
Replies (11-20):
Saraho5
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:19 PM
I napped a lot when I had one. I would still nap often with two, but after my third was born naps for me became few and far between!
I do have my cup of coffee eVerY mOrnInG!

Glad everything is going so well!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:38 PM

That is great !

Camey82
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell me about it! I can't always nap either...otherwise my sink stays full and my laundry room loses its floor--kinda like now!! lol! I'm slowly getting things back on track now though. We get to do this all over again in 5 months! At least this will be a summer baby and we'll have a little break. We typically do some summer reading and focus on times tables in the summer, very minimal.

Quoting Boobah:

I try to take one while my 2.5 yo naps, but sometimes I can't because it's the only chance I have to get other things done. Today, mommy is taking a nap! This rain makes me so tired! I always think of how lucky I am to even have the opportunity. So many people I know are pregnant right now and have to work all day. I would fall asleep. Ha!

Quoting mem82:

LOL You know what, I took a 3 HOUR NAP everyday I was pregnant. I would just pass out no matter what. We really struggled because I just kept sleeping. LOL At least with having Nikki on my lap, I can couch teach a few things, though, we are just now starting to get on a schedule. you are going to do great!

Quoting Boobah:

Says the mom of an infant as she snickers knowingly. ;)

Quoting mem82:

good luck!

Camey82
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

It's not like they're breathing down your neck or anything. They aren't, exactly. But the amount of work...it's surprising. Luckily it has put him above grade level. When I look at other curriculums for third grade, I'm typically shocked and think "That's it?". 

K12 was a GREAT start for me. We started in kindergarten. I didn't know anything about home schooling. Granted, I did teach him to read CVC words and add before he was in kindergarten, so I did know "something" about it. But it was just overwhelming thinking about "real" homeschooling once he was school aged.

Now that I have my wings, (been with K12 for four years), we are ready to leave the nest! And it's good timing too. They are getting a tad "Big Brother-ish" and all the testing, testing, and more testing is getting on my last nerve! I felt like Rafiki in Lion King "It is time!" lol!!! 

Quoting Boobah:

Wow! I thought about that several times during my slump. We almost used k12.com and I kept thinking "thank goodness we decided not to!". There was no way I could have handled someone telling me what I needed to do and when. So yes, we slacked off.... A lot. Haha! But we are making up for it. We couldn't do that on someone else's schedule, like you said.
I even considered switching to k12 during my low point because I couldn't fathom trying to plan anything. I just wanted someone to do it for me. But then I remembered that I'd still have to do a ton, and probably more than I would our way.
I'm glad you figured out something that will work! Good luck! I can honestly say that I am 100% happy we chose the traditional route.

Quoting Camey82:

Wow, I could have posted the SAME thing. I'm 19 weeks and have dreaded homeschooling everyday for the last four months. We're not behind, but we're making some serious changes. We are currently using a public charter school to school at home. The sheer amount of work is taking the fun out of learning for us. It's SO much like the public school. Too much "busy" stuff and not enough real learning. With  four children (and one on the way) we need flexibility at it's best.

Keeping on someone else's schedule was just stressful and unnecessary! It was taking between 6 and 10 hours a day to do everything in order to not fall behind....can you say BURNT OUT!? That on top of being pregnant, sick, and tired?? NOT a good recipe for home school! We are withdrawing from the pcs as soon as we can. We're going to finish the last four months of this year with time4learning and continue using Calvert with my kindergartener. It's a relief just saying it!

Glad you're feeling better!

lovepotato
by Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm 22 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow, and I have a just 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. If I don't nap when my little one does, I get nauseous and sick at night. So I let my 5 year old watch a little TV and nap next to him. I haven't had morning sickness in awhile, its just the fatigue and all around soreness that's getting to me.

I'm planning on starting kindergarten in the fall for DS. I've been told to just put him in school because I'll have a baby and a toddler and it'll just be to hard. I really can't imagine putting him in school next year. When he's older and he says he wants to try PS, I'll let him. But until then, I have to do what I think is right.

I'm really new to this, so I'm trying to read everything I need to. I want to have everything in order before the baby comes so I can just do it in the fall. I know we might have to change things but it'll be nice to have as much done before the baby is due in June. I have a friend who homeschools. She's a teacher so she can do my assessment. She gave me a bunch of stuff and one of her letters to the superindentant. I'm so excited to read it all!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 21, 2012 at 2:22 PM
I always just think of how much I don't want to haul my 3 kids to the bus at 7:30 in the morning, and again at 3:45 to pick her back up. Plus deal with the homework and attitude that comes with it. (my daughter was in public kinder last year, we have home schooled first grade). Let me tell you, the bus alone is worth staying home. Snow, ice, rain, storms. No thanks!

Ours is due June 4th, so we are happy to have a break right when baby is due, then start at the end of aug/beginning of sept.

Plus, kinder is so laid back, it's the perfect way to break yourself in, and will allow you to not be so overwhelmed with the new baby. Then hopefully by first/second you'll have it all down :)

Quoting lovepotato:

I'm 22 weeks pregnant as of tomorrow, and I have a just 5 year old and an almost 2 year old. If I don't nap when my little one does, I get nauseous and sick at night. So I let my 5 year old watch a little TV and nap next to him. I haven't had morning sickness in awhile, its just the fatigue and all around soreness that's getting to me.

I'm planning on starting kindergarten in the fall for DS. I've been told to just put him in school because I'll have a baby and a toddler and it'll just be to hard. I really can't imagine putting him in school next year. When he's older and he says he wants to try PS, I'll let him. But until then, I have to do what I think is right.

I'm really new to this, so I'm trying to read everything I need to. I want to have everything in order before the baby comes so I can just do it in the fall. I know we might have to change things but it'll be nice to have as much done before the baby is due in June. I have a friend who homeschools. She's a teacher so she can do my assessment. She gave me a bunch of stuff and one of her letters to the superindentant. I'm so excited to read it all!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dazguti
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Can I ask you about your experience going from Saxon to LOF and back to Saxon? We've always been a Saxon family, but I've been hearing such good things about LOF I was thinking of trying it - even if just during the summer...

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:44 AM
Well, I've heard great things about the middle grades. Lof elementary is new as of last summer. I don't really think it is a complete math. I wanted to like it. She could read it herself, it was in story form, a few questions at the end, it incorporated life.

But... It really was nonsense to me. We got the life of Fred apples book. It is $16.99 with free shipping. There are 18 chapters, so it lasted 18 lessons. It would cost us almost $33 a month to do life of Fred at that pace and I think there are only 7 elementary books. I'm not sure on the exact number.

Anyway, the whole first book taught her how to add to 7. 3+4=7, 4+3=7, 4x+3y=7y. She said "mom, why is everything about 7??" And really, why does she need to know algebra in first grade before she even has her addition facts down completely. Then in the chapter, it didn't tell her HOW to get the answers to the questions at the end of the book.

Overall, I was really disappointed in both the content, amd the price. We went back to Saxon Monday and are learning more than we did in Fred. So yes, saxon is boring and repetitive if you do the WHOLE scripted thing.

What I learned from this, was to skip the hoopla of the lesson in Saxon. We don't do the meeting, morning/afternoon clock, and all that other stuff she already knows. We go straight to the lesson. I do skim the whole thing to make sure there isn't anything I want to go over. If there is, I do. Our time has been cut in half, and we are both enjoying it more.

Quoting dazguti:

Can I ask you about your experience going from Saxon to LOF and back to Saxon? We've always been a Saxon family, but I've been hearing such good things about LOF I was thinking of trying it - even if just during the summer...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dazguti
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Got it, thank you so much for sharing that experience.  I was kind of wondering if that's what LOF would end up being like.  My boys are pretty strong in math, and they've never minded the Saxon lessons at all.  I'm with you, though, I'm all for skipping some of the parts once they are mastered, or doing them weekly instead of daily.  Thanks again :)  And good luck with getting your family back into the swing of things.  I have a 4  month old, and I know how easy it is to get sidetracked during that pregnancy and newborn period.  Great thing is, that's the beauty of homeschooling!! It's on YOUR schedule...Gotta Love it!

TeddiChi
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM
Hehe, you'd better believe it! I have my 16yo DS, and 14yo DS doing the same work, then an almost 5yo AD, doing her preschool work, and we've been blessed in Oct with AD2 who is now 7months old, and believe me, it's been tricky getting back into some kind of a routine that seems to work! It took me almost 3 months just to find my feet again and that was during the holidays, so starting school brought a whole new bunch of challenges with baby in cue! Hehe, but fear not dear momma, in the end it's all good fun! Enjoy your pregnancy.

Quoting Boobah:

I know! I learned a lot from those months of no energy and running to the bathroom. ;)

I'm sure baby will throw a new spin on my routine, but we just have to work through it, too!

Quoting oredeb:

yea boobah!!!! now you can help the other moms who are not feeling well(morning sickness)!! you survived!!! yea!!! have fun!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)