Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HS stigma, how do you deal?

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ok, so I have noticed one common trend when my children require some sort of medical intervention like ear infections, or asthma flare ups, or eczema outbreaks, you know, things that really do need a prescription for the comfort of the lil one. That one stigma is that my children wouldn't have these issues if they were in public school! Have you ever had this happen? Maybe not with illness, but just in general, that your kiddo was somehow (other than socially, no one outside the community will ever understand that they really do have friends) damaged by not being in ps? Its so frustrating to me! They did not get a bacterial infection because they are not exposed to a petri dish of public schools! Frustrating. Share your stories and how you were able to handle them.

by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mynameismuerte
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
If you're getting that attitude from a doctor, I would seriously consider finding a new one. All kids are different and for a doctor to not recognize that would infuriate me. For example, my now 6 year old went to public PK and we were told to expect him to be sick all year from the exposure. Almost every kid in his class caught swine flu that year and he didn't. He might have missed 1 day from being sick.

As far as the general comments and ignorance, I ignore it. I do my best to never "defend" our decision. Most of the time if I state my position with confidence, I get very little nonsense back from the person. Unfortunately, most of the people with these strong opinions are either strictly ignorant on how HSing works or they only know one of those families that gives HSing a bad name.

This year was our first year officially HSing and we moved into a new state in Aug. DS still gets speech at the school and the speech therapist made me more uncomfortable than I have ever been in all my life! SHE was so uncomfortable with the idea of homeschooling and it drove me nuts! Now that she has spent time with my kids (she does the speech for my 3yo as well) she has backed off and even gives me compliments as to how well DS reads and what not.

Sorry that got so long. I guess the point is that I do my best to ignore that kind of stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:07 PM

so sorry you go through that, we've had no problems with it here that i've noticed anyway!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM

My son is, er, enthusiastic about life, and oh boy, do i hear about how he would be so much calmer if he went to school. It's frustrating but I just shrug it off. In PS, they'd medicate him and I'm not willing to do that because he's a little loud.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It depends on the mood I am in on what I say to the naysayers. If I am in a good mood & the person isn't being rude I will say things in a nice way & give my reasons. If I am in a bad mood or the person is being rude I will be short & abrupt.

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I get this one too. Babies (really, up to puberty) shouldn't be medicated imo. 

Quoting mem82:

My son is, er, enthusiastic about life, and oh boy, do i hear about how he would be so much calmer if he went to school. It's frustrating but I just shrug it off. In PS, they'd medicate him and I'm not willing to do that because he's a little loud.

Saraho5
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:16 PM
I've just had my first encounter with this. My brother. Who wasn't being mean spirited by any means. I think he just, for lack of a better word, is ignorant on homeschooling. It was just a very short conversation, because I have all of my reasons & feelings about it, but they're all jumbled up! I need to get them in order, so next time I can offer 'em up if I feel like it's necessary!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:20 PM

The naysayers usually quiet down after a year or so. LOL

Quoting Saraho5:

I've just had my first encounter with this. My brother. Who wasn't being mean spirited by any means. I think he just, for lack of a better word, is ignorant on homeschooling. It was just a very short conversation, because I have all of my reasons & feelings about it, but they're all jumbled up! I need to get them in order, so next time I can offer 'em up if I feel like it's necessary!

Saraho5
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Lol, good to hear!

Quoting mem82:

The naysayers usually quiet down after a year or so. LOL

Quoting Saraho5:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Camey82
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 10:55 AM

My family has a good amount of ps educators and some of them are really great about it. Others look at me sideways due to the "lack of socialization" and the testing to see if he's up to par. All of you know the load of crock this is so I don't need to give you all the spill about how they are sociaized, but it does get rather annoying. 

We get the "So how long are you going to homeschool?" a lot now. Like okay fine you're doing it now, but you do plan to stop eventually, right! I finally just decided to go with "We're taking it on a year by year basis.". They ask every year, but they get the same answer, lol, so it works fine with me!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:03 PM

What? I usually hear it the other way around. Kids get sick when they go back to school. Just ignore it, girl! In fact, I'd probably be arguing the point with the doctor, or whomever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)