Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New and trying to learn

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi, I have decided that I will home school my 10 year old when school starts next year.  He will be considered a 5thgrader.  He has always went to a public school but I have decided to change this for next year.  Mostly due to the way the school is ran.   He is having trouble with a boy who is older then him and has been told by the boy that he will kill my son.  When I contacted the school they told me that the boy is just misunderstood and has a bad home life, so "don't worry your son will be fine, the boy wasn't really going to hurt your son."  Needless to say we are constantly having troubles and if I knew how to start homeschooling in the middle of the year I would, but I have told my son to stay away from the trouble maker and also have told the principal that my son is not to be near the bully. 

Also I am not satisfied with how they teach either.  In math my son uses a multiplication graph so he doesn't have to memorize his multiplication tables.  I know its been a while for me but I memorized my tables by the 3rd grade.  They also do division with blocks, still have trouble figuring that one out.  And what ever happened to spelling just being spelling, now he has science projects he does in with his spelling work and it has nothing to do with his spelling words or work.  I just don't understand how they teach now, I guess I am old but man I miss Dick and Jane, lol. 

I am kind of worried about home schooling due to the fact my 4th grader brings home work and I almost feel like I need to go with him just so I can help him with some of the stuff they are trying to teach him.  So any help I could get would be appreciated in transitioning from public to homeschooling.

Sorry if I was long winded but it was nice to be able to tell someone else about my sons issues. 

by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM

What state are you in? The first place to start is knowing your laws & rights to homeschool. The next thing is knowing your sons learning style. From there you can begin to figure out the best way to homeschool.

oredeb
by on Feb. 21, 2012 at 7:28 PM

yes look up your state law first! http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

go from there! you can probably pull your son out now! it would be a good idea to deschool him for a bit, while you do a bit of research, during the deschooling time you can learn how he learns! that will help a lot.

heres a good place to read about homeschooling might answer questions also

http://www.homeschooldiner.com/guide/intro/galaxy.html

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2012 at 9:14 PM

You can do this! Welcome and hello!

TeddiChi
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:21 PM
I would also pull him now. I agree, deschool for a while, get your feelers out, and start from there. That's the fun part about HS, you work with what works for you! And any mom who has the heart to do it, CAN do it. Don't put your son through the trauma of having to deal with this bully for another day, week, month or term! The quicker you start, the quicker you will settle into it. Good luck momma, and have fun! That's another perk of Homeschooling, you can have fun while learning with your kids!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:47 PM

In regards to what your 4th grader is bringing home;  the so called "new math" is a failure. Public schools are graduating kids that can't do basic math.   You do not have to teach math that way.

The fact that you seem a bit scared tells me you will do just fine because you care.  If you have that, you will figure out the rest.  The best way to eat an elephant is a bite at a time.  You can begin home schooling in the middle of the year with a little preparation.  Start with your State laws.  The following article will assist you with that and  more  How To Home School

Soon you will be helping a mother in your situation. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Welcome to the adventure! My oldest is 10 y/o (he'll be 11 in July). I had my friends daughter live with us for a few months when she was 11, and she was in PS. I was LOST helping her w/ homework. Mostly because I had no idea what had been explained or how. Things are completely different when you're the one preparing & presenting the lesson. Even those of us w/ college degrees have subjects that we are lost on. I'm terrible w/ spelling & grammar. So I got some books (Painless Grammar) and I learn as I teach. Furthermore, we do coops which helps. The kids are taking a writing class taught by a mom who is a college professor, so they are getting something I stink at teaching! LOL.

You'll do great!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN