Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lesson activity time limit

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM
  • 13 Replies

When your child is doing an activity from a lesson (for example right now my son is doing an addition/subtraction page from his workbook), do you have a time limit or just let them take as long as they want?  It's been over an hour and he is still doing the same sheet.....1 page.  I don't give him a lot to do, I don't overwork him, I don't make everything boring and we don't even do worksheets every day, but some days I feel they are neccesary for him to practice....and it frees up some time for me to clean or work with the younger one.  The problem is that he takes soooooooo long!  and it isn't that he doesn't understand it because he can do it fine.  He'll stare into space, talk to himself, play around, or anything he can to keep from having to do work.  He doesn't have ADD/ADHD or any learning disorders...it honestly seems like he's being a little brat on purpose.  He's 7.  Other then math, spelling is the only other subject we've done today.  Afternoons are usually busy so mornings are the best time to get stuff done.  While his younger brother is off and done with ALL his stuff in an hour or so, my older one is still on the same subject all morning and we often don't have time to do other stuff!  and again, it isn't that he doesn't understand it.  1 page...1 little page...shouldn't take over an hour to do.  Frustrated....

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 22, 2012 at 11:09 AM
Haha....yup...DD is doing that right now. I haven't decided if she wants the one on one attention or if she is just being a snot. Usually she finds ways to get up, run around and screw off and therefore doesn't get all he work done.

Its my mission to jump on it this week and cure her of this...hehe
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pepsi_lover_mom
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I'm still trying to teach ds that if he just sits down and stops procrastinating he'll be done in 5mins but does he listen? heck no! Hes super hard headed, couldn't imagine where he gets it from either ;-) lol

Moma3boyz
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 12:36 PM
I had 2 boys with this problem. We do school in the mornings and most of they chores. They have the afternoon and evening to play. When I notice them daydreaming I set a timer for a few minutes longer than what it should take them to get done. Then I tell them you have this long to get done before w move on. What they don't have done becomes homework. We get all of out subjects covered and it didn't take just a couple of days to lose play time to finish their work before they caught on. They seem to learn the value of time better when it is their time they are losing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bether89
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Quoting Moma3boyz:

I had 2 boys with this problem. We do school in the mornings and most of they chores. They have the afternoon and evening to play. When I notice them daydreaming I set a timer for a few minutes longer than what it should take them to get done. Then I tell them you have this long to get done before w move on. What they don't have done becomes homework. We get all of out subjects covered and it didn't take just a couple of days to lose play time to finish their work before they caught on. They seem to learn the value of time better when it is their time they are losing.

I need to do the timer for my 8 yr. old.  He drags around and takes forever some days to finish.

oredeb
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM

i give my kids time limits,math is 45 min at the most, langarts is 45 at the most

you could time him with a timer and at the end if he makes it a prize! and if he doenst he gets to do the rest during a time when you all are watching tv or enjoying each other or when he usually does something entertaining! some kids that lesson works good!hahahaha

1Redapple
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I feel your pain, but your kids are soooo cute.  I don't know how to help. When my dd was starting homeschool I had to sit with her the whole time to keep her on track. Now in fifth grade she has a hard time working quickly in math.  She is strong in LA.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Weeeeeeelllll it totally depends. If the kids are staring off into space, then we put a time limit on it. My 7 y/o is very strong willed, so he'll push the buttons; whereas my 10 y/o is special needs. So my kids have no toys, game systems etc available until the evening. If they don't complete their school works and chores then they can't 'rent' their game systems...That's usually encouragement enough to keep on track..lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:55 AM

We do set a time if it becomes apparent that one of the kids is just goofing around.

dazguti
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Is there something fun that he enjoys doing that you could schedule for immediately after his worksheet (or whatever he's stalling on)? "Wow, I can't wait til you finish that so we can ... " or "...so you get to...."  Just a thought?

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Julia has been doing this lately and it is out of character for her. She is just SO distracted lately. I think I've got to get her back to her desk because the on the couch/floor isn't working. She complains the book won't stay flat, or her pencil rolls. Lol. You can tell the school year end is nearing! She does much better work when she is more structured. I've been relaxed lately on when she does her work and just let her do her thing, but that obviously isn't working because she isnt getting it done. I'll find her playing with her sister instead.

Basically, I feel your frustration! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN