Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Lesson activity time limit

Posted by   + Show Post

When your child is doing an activity from a lesson (for example right now my son is doing an addition/subtraction page from his workbook), do you have a time limit or just let them take as long as they want?  It's been over an hour and he is still doing the same sheet.....1 page.  I don't give him a lot to do, I don't overwork him, I don't make everything boring and we don't even do worksheets every day, but some days I feel they are neccesary for him to practice....and it frees up some time for me to clean or work with the younger one.  The problem is that he takes soooooooo long!  and it isn't that he doesn't understand it because he can do it fine.  He'll stare into space, talk to himself, play around, or anything he can to keep from having to do work.  He doesn't have ADD/ADHD or any learning disorders...it honestly seems like he's being a little brat on purpose.  He's 7.  Other then math, spelling is the only other subject we've done today.  Afternoons are usually busy so mornings are the best time to get stuff done.  While his younger brother is off and done with ALL his stuff in an hour or so, my older one is still on the same subject all morning and we often don't have time to do other stuff!  and again, it isn't that he doesn't understand it.  1 page...1 little page...shouldn't take over an hour to do.  Frustrated....

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 11:05 AM
Replies (11-13):
aliveandblessed
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I have had this same problem with my 7 yr old son, who is also my oldest...  I tried many things, then a friend who homeschooled her 3 boys offered me some advice.  She said to start a timer.  Not to time him, but to figure out how long it should take him, and add an extra 10-15 minutes to it.  Whatever time he has left over is his to do with as he pleases until the timer goes off, and then we start the next subject and timer.  I have found this works better than anything else we've tried.  We still have some difficult days, but they are fewer and far between now :)  Hope this helps!playing soccer boyblowing bubblesbaby in sling

wright1212
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

That is a small sign (of many) of ADHD. I too thought my DD was being super stubborn. But then got to chatting with doc and she may actually have it. It came down to the fact..she does this with every single thing she does..even getting dressed.

The homework concept works a bit for her. She really really hated doing the work as homework after girlscouts (we have 1 hour between scouts and cheer) and all her friends were playing..never again did she drag things out on Tuesdays. BUT she still continues to need constant reminders every 5min of what she is to be doing. She does pretty well at reading..once she starts a book she almost always finishes it. (those little level 1 or 2 readers).

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I do not time him but we are super flexible. He does not function well before lunch so we usually do work at night. If he is acting a fool then he can go to bed. In the mornings we get up and the kids do their chores and they play. After lunch the little one goes to nap and he usually starts school then. I guess it just does not bother me if he wants to spend a million hours looking at the same sheet of paper.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN