Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

we started hs yesterday and...

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

so i pulled my kids from school the wed before our x mas break and had them de schooling while i got the info i needed and book and stuff (still waiting on a couple science books and looking for explode the code1-4) but we started last night we did our history we are using story of the world and my hubby is doing the math as im not good with it and it went good then today we did out history and i have a box someone gave me with math sheets for all diff kinda levels that cover all my kids :) except my pre k  i think im going to hold off on science till our books get here there Prentice hall science explore (8th grade set)  but so far we are doing good with it being just our 2nd day and im still going nuts trying to do this and making my self have the confidence that i can do this but i just had to share  

now my question is do you do all your subjects in 1 day or do only a couple in 1 day or 1 each day of the week im not sure how to do this i think it would be to much to do all them in 1 day  history dosnt take us to long n i think science it will depend on what we are learning  i know math take a bit for my oldest as he hates math  and writing will be long as he dosnt like to write though i might have him do stuff on the comp n just do a seprate thing for writing cause you can read anything he puts on the paper he needs ot bad they never gave it to him when he was supposted to have it in ps   but i need ideas 

we will have History in the morning  math at night that much i know but should i do for science and reading n other things? same day or break them up during the week?

thanks for reading and sorry a little long but im still happy its going good so far :)

Wife to my wonderful hubby David and mom to my awsome 4 kids                                       David Jr.,Matthew,Emmalee,& Kristin

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I'm glad your first couple of days are going well!

I make the kids each an assignment sheet at the beginning of the week. It is laid out so that they have every subject every day.

However, they are free to complete it any way they choose. Most of the time they do it the way it's laid out but if they wanted to do one day of all math, then the next day all Science, that would be fine as well. All I ask is that it is all done by Friday at 3pm.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

5BMom
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:20 PM
We do phonics/reading and math and read alouds everyday we do school, which is 3-4 days a week... The read-alouds include social studies, history, and literature. Science and logic and arts and crafts are once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 22, 2012 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

It is so good that things are going well. I will not be much help in answering your question because we unschool all that we do is up to the kids & what they are in the mood for from day to day.

amommyslife03
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:33 PM

awsome thanks everyone for the advice  we decided to just do our writing tomorrow dont want to start to much to quick so we dont get worn out i guess ill see how it goes doing it everyday n then maybe tweek it from there

oredeb
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 5:59 PM

fantastic amommyslife!!!

we do all the subjects in 1 day, but we've been doin it awhile and we combine some of them.

but theres nothing that says you  have to do all subjects in a day! you chose what does best for you and the kids! your the teacher now!!! yea!!! i know lots of people that do history and science only a couple times a week and it works good!

for us, lang. arts and math is something we do everyday no matter what,

how old are your kids?

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Honestly, we take it day by day. Some days we do everything - those are good days when the kids are stoked to learn. Other days they get immersed in a single subject all day. It all works out in the end. So we play it by ear.

Congrats on starting the adventure!!

amommyslife03
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

thanks

Quoting KickButtMama:

Honestly, we take it day by day. Some days we do everything - those are good days when the kids are stoked to learn. Other days they get immersed in a single subject all day. It all works out in the end. So we play it by ear.

Congrats on starting the adventure!!

amommyslife03
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM

thanks yea not used to being the teacher lmao   mine are  2 boys 11 & 9 and 2 girls 6 & 2 kinda close n age yet not  as long as i can keep the boys from annoying each other during work time that part will be good  yea i think deff playing it by ear till we all get used to it n get our schedule set will be good

Quoting oredeb:

fantastic amommyslife!!!

we do all the subjects in 1 day, but we've been doin it awhile and we combine some of them.

but theres nothing that says you  have to do all subjects in a day! you chose what does best for you and the kids! your the teacher now!!! yea!!! i know lots of people that do history and science only a couple times a week and it works good!

for us, lang. arts and math is something we do everyday no matter what,

how old are your kids?

Wife to my wonderful hubby David and mom to my awsome 4 kids                                       David Jr.,Matthew,Emmalee,& Kristin

4quivers
by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Since we are eclectic/unschoolers we are very open to change.  But to keep my sanity we have school 4 days a week with wednesdays and weekends off and sometimes take a whole week off at a time.  We also school all year round. 

Monday spelling, math, history whatever         Tuesday math, science, whatever

Thursday writing, math, history whatever          Friday Timeline figures, math, whatever. 

I just basically give them 1 math and 1 writing assignment a day and read them historical books throughout the week.  The rest is for their own choosing.

"Bless me, I couldn't get on at all without my flock of dear, noisy, naughty, harum-scarum little lads!!

Louisa May Alcott in "Little Men"

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:30 PM

I plan out the week and we do whatever he wants each day as long as he is done by Saturday morning when he wakes up I really do not care. Usually he will go as it is laid out but sometimes he gets on a roll in one subject and knocks it all out. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old, the older one is in 1st and the little one is working on her masters in terrorism of her brother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN