Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Art - what do you use?

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
  • 6 Replies

I've been going through Rainbow Resource over and over looking at art curriculum. We do a lot of art projects and crafty things through scouts and on our own but I want to teach about artists and different styles I want it to have time lines and activities for the kids.

What do you use?

So far I am leaning toward "Art and Artists Through The Centuries" (Grades 3-8) It's divided in to lessons with a biography, vocab list, and discusses their styles and time periods along with a project. 

or

"Discovering Great Artists" (Grades k-8)  this looks cool. It reviews the great masters has 150 activities that simulate their styles.  Each activity contains a history of the artist, a project and a sample of the artist's work. One example is taping a paper to the underside of a table and having the kids paint like Michelangelo's Sistine chapel. I LOVE it!

Does anyone have experience with either of these?

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Feb. 22, 2012 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

We learn art as we go for example we read the Magic Tree House books & in one of them the children meet Leonardo Da Vinci. This made my children curious about who he was & what he did. So we went to the Internet & searched him, we found his art work & his biography as well as lots of other information. If they had not been satisfied with that we would have then gone to the library for books about him & watched documentaries on him. Now there is an exhibit at our local science museum of his work & my young children are just as interested in going as I am because of there knowledge of him.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

US-  We have delved in to art like that on a few occasions but I would like to do an actual curriculum.

We are lucky to be close to the Norton Simon Museum, the Getty Museum, and several other famous museums in the Los Angles area. I would like to do a study over the next year and then maybe go to a different museum every 2 - 3 months.

Jinx - Homeschooling Scout & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Brownie Heidi 4/03. Police wife to Joe and Alpha to my fur baby German Shepherd Spazz.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

I don't like curriculum for anything really so I wont be any help. I was just sharing how we learn about artist & their art. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

US-  We have delved in to art like that on a few occasions but I would like to do an actual curriculum.

We are lucky to be close to the Norton Simon Museum, the Getty Museum, and several other famous museums in the Los Angles area. I would like to do a study over the next year and then maybe go to a different museum every 2 - 3 months.

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:01 PM

there use to be this art company called shasta kids art(or something like that) they would send us small pictures of famous or not so famous artist and we would do the research and such on the pictures, it was fun! we did the same thing with music composers

for the other part of art i show the kids how to use various mediums in art

also rod and staff use to have a neat packet of art stuff, cheap and fun! how to draw certain things, shading, pen and ink, stilettos, water colors, tempera, oils, acrylics, chalk, pastels , etc

mamabens
by Miranda on Feb. 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I don't use any curriculum for art. I let them be creative on their own. We have a four drawer craft  drawers & another 2 containers of craft stuff & I jsut let them loose & let them create.

Miceller1
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 7:55 AM
We use coloring books that you can off of amazon - color your own impressionist color own modern art. It's actual works of art in black and white color pages. So then you can try to let your child recreate using whatever medium the original artist used and fill out a notebook sheet on that artist. You can just use the Internet to look up the art, the artist etc. I think currclick has a basic artist notebook ing page but I'm sure you could find one or create one!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)