Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it possible to be too flexible?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM
  • 8 Replies
Ok, last question from me today! ;)

I'm afraid I may just be too flexible with my daughter. I'm worried if she just isn't feeling it for the day, I'll be like okay- there's always tomorrow!

Or just wait until the evening...my kids have a funny way of wanting to be suuuuppper sweet before bed. I think they think they'll get to play longer or stay up. lol

Anyhow, I don't forsee her wanting to slack off much, but I do know those days will happen! So, is it wrong for me to be like wHaTeVeR?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM
This is just my opinion, and not everyone hs for the same reasons I do. But, I have done this! There are days when I am not interested, or they are not. We find something else to do, and then move on. I am pretty unschooly though. We will go a week with no seat work, but during that time we do art or projects, or build literary adventures with popsicle sticks and glitter. when we do re group everyone is ready to focus on what is needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 23, 2012 at 2:47 PM
I've done this on very rare ocassions when I know something is up with a child.

For the most part I lean toward school being a job so it needs to get done but I do vale the CHOICE to have a free day when needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I don't think so, I think being flexible will teach your kids to roll with the punches so that if things happen & you can't stay on task it wouldn't bother them so much!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:26 PM
I, too, have to treat it as a job. Because if I don't, we won't do anything all year. I can't treat it as an option. But I don't think that is what you are asking, you know it isn't a choice. But a day off here or there, (or in my case, a month or so with morning sickness!) can easily be made up! On the "whatever!!" days I try to do something easy and call it a light day. Like I'll have her read to her sister, or I'll read her science or history lesson to her without asking much back. Just so I feel like I'm doing something. Lol. I recently started using a comprehensive curriculum book ($8 at SAMs) for *my* blah days where I can't muster up enough energy to do all the subjects. I just have her do 1-2 pages from each section. On *her* blah days, I either call it a day, or do a subject that is her favorite - like a fun art project, just painting, a game, or even computer time.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I've done this on very rare ocassions when I know something is up with a child.

For the most part I lean toward school being a job so it needs to get done but I do vale the CHOICE to have a free day when needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You are not in any kind of competition and there is no universal right way to homeschool. There is just a way that is right for your family. And if that way works with lots of flexability, so be it. As long as you are not letting your child manipulate you into giving in and you do not feel defeated by a mound of undone work, then being very flexable is fine IMO.

My kids are older and we are all committed to different activities, so our schedule stays pretty constant. Plus, we only school 4 days a week, so we have to stay pon top of the work. However, even with our busy life, I always remind the kids that I reserve the right to "just say no." No to practices, no to extra commitments, and even no to school work. Everyone needs a break from time to time.

oredeb
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 5:37 PM

do what best fits your daughter, you know how she learns, some kids need to stick to it, some need mom right in there with them, some need lots of flexibliity, know your child!

mine need a time to start and a time to finish,  we all learn differently!

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 6:06 PM

We tend to roll with the punches. My son does best doing his work in the late afternoon and evening so that tends to be when we do the actual work. During the day we do some projects and art stuff but he mostly plays with his sister and helps me clean. Some days we do not do anything school related either he is too tired or I am, or we are just busy. We always make it up so I never sweat it. We just took a week off to bs around and it was fan freaking tastic. We helped a friend move so he counted and loaded bricks, he learned to measure lumber, played with the garden snakes, threw and counted golfballs into the pond. So he learned (sorta).

Mom2Kaylie
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:56 PM

There is value in learning to go with the flow.  It's good to be able to adapt and meet other people's needs.  Kids learn this by example.  You adapt your schedule to meet her needs and she can appreciate that.  Sometimes we do need to re evaluate.  Does this really need done today?  How important is this?  What is important today?  It's just as important to know how to relax as it is to tackle a difficult task.  Sometimes we need time to process the information in our minds.  Daydreams can lead to important discoveries. Do we always have to be doing something?  What about just taking in the moment?  That being said....There are important things that need to be done. We don't want to make excuses to be lazy all the time but we don't have to be workaholics either.  We have to find balance in our lives and sometimes we do need to just let it go and say whatever.  It is what it is. I prefer to look at the bigger picture and see what we accomplish over the week or month rather than each day.  Some days will seem more productive than others.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN