Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I might be reading too much into this...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

...but we went for a walk today with our neighbor. She agrees the ps school system around here sucks so she sends her daughter to private school. Anyway, our girls are in the same grade and one of them said something about a life cycle when they meant food chain and we started quizzing the girls about each and then started talking about habitats and environments. Anyway, my daughter had all the right answers (we just went over all this stuff about a week ago and so did her daughter) and I was inwardly proud. She mixed up a few things, but was at least able to answer the questions. My neighbor turns to her daughter and says, "See, she's homeschooled and she knows all of this and here I am paying more than $500 a month to send you to school."  I think I might be reading a little too much into it, but she's been over when we do school work and she sees everything we do for the most part (not because I have to account to her or anything, mostly its coincidental since I babysit her daughter after school and when she comes in she sees the projects we're working on). When she said it though, I felt like I just kicked in the gut, like, we don't do anything and because her daughter is in private school she should know more...  ug. This is really the first time it's happened for me so I was a taken a little off gaurd. I really don't think she meant anything by it, it still just bothered me though...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BusCaptainMama
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds to me like she's second-guessing her decision to private school her daughter... I would feel like for $500 a month mine should know more!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:32 PM

I think you're looking far too much into it. Lol.

Hugs though :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

Saraho5
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM
Sounds like to me she thinks 500$ is a ridiculous amount of money to be paying monthly when the same knowledge is learned for waaaay less!

I wouldn't take it personal :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:44 PM

awwwww sounds like they talked about homeschooling amongst themselves, just by doing what your doing is a good witness to hsing! good job no difference!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:48 PM

She more then likely meant nothing by it, but in general a lot of people think the more money you dish out to your child's education the more likely your child will have a superior education and the misconception is that homeschooling is a cheaper education then private school.  In one hand it is, but expensive doesn't always mean better and most don't realize this.

I just wouldn't let it bother you, she sounds like she's at least a friend to have and your girls get along.  My friend down the streets children are public schooled and sometimes the things that come across stings a little, but for me I let it go.  It goes both ways, for your friend she's paying a lot of money and not getting as good of an education and she knows it if not beforehand she does now, so that I'm sure stings for her.  My friend has mentioned how she wishes her kids can do things mine can do because they are homeschooled and so I know for her that stings a little.  To me a good friend isn't worth getting upset over the minor things, so it's up to you as to whether or not she's that kind of friend to let things go, or if she's the type to drop like dead weight.

Danielle163
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Quoting BusCaptainMama:

Sounds to me like she's second-guessing her decision to private school her daughter... I would feel like for $500 a month mine should know more!

Yeah, I think BCM is right. Yeesh...$500/month..........

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies :) 
I'm not letting it bother me to the point of  saying anything to her since I'm sure she didn't mean anything by it, it's just something I wasn't expecting. I wasn't expecting my own reaction to it either, and I  had to say something to someone or it would eat at me all night and hubby isn't hear to tell me that "it's all in my head" lol So thank you all for reading and letting me let it out :). 

Mom2Kaylie
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I think it was a compliment to the job you are doing.  Not said the best but not meant to put you down at all.  I also think it was a gripe about the price of her school which is not related to you and yours. People like to complain about the high cost of things. Maybe she's a bit jealous of what you are able to do with your child and how smart she is because of it which is another compliment about how smart your kid is.

If anything the comment was wrong because it was a put down to her own daughter and her daughters school made in front of her to other people.  How do you think her daughter felt about that comment?  It could have made her feel stupid and like she is not living up to her mother's expectations.  The daughter heard her mother's negative opinion about her school and may take on that negative opinion of her school as well and figure it's not her fault if she's not learning it like she someone expects.  Her school should be doing a better job.  It may also cause some hard feelings between your child and hers because the comment compared them and therefore put them in competition.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Oops, foot in the mouth! lol

Maybe she was expecting her expensive private school to teach her daughter how to spin gold thread and come to find out, her daughter is just learning what all the other kids in the world are learning. 8)

Good job to you, though! And your daughter! lol

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM

I thought that immediately too and felt bad. I almost did say something to counter the negativity in the comment but held my tounge. I'm watching her tomorrow and planned on doing a bingo review game  where no matter what they'll end up both winning. They're both using the same social studies and science books so I'm at least know what they're learning in ps. I made some candy for treats for "winning" and hopefully there won't be much of a competition between the two then, but if there is, hopefully not in a negative way.

Quoting Mom2Kaylie:

I think it was a compliment to the job you are doing.  Not said the best but not meant to put you down at all.  I also think it was a gripe about the price of her school which is not related to you and yours. People like to complain about the high cost of things. Maybe she's a bit jealous of what you are able to do with your child and how smart she is because of it which is another compliment about how smart your kid is.

If anything the comment was wrong because it was a put down to her own daughter and her daughters school made in front of her to other people.  How do you think her daughter felt about that comment?  It could have made her feel stupid and like she is not living up to her mother's expectations.  The daughter heard her mother's negative opinion about her school and may take on that negative opinion of her school as well and figure it's not her fault if she's not learning it like she someone expects.  Her school should be doing a better job.  It may also cause some hard feelings between your child and hers because the comment compared them and therefore put them in competition.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)