Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I might be reading too much into this...

Posted by   + Show Post

...but we went for a walk today with our neighbor. She agrees the ps school system around here sucks so she sends her daughter to private school. Anyway, our girls are in the same grade and one of them said something about a life cycle when they meant food chain and we started quizzing the girls about each and then started talking about habitats and environments. Anyway, my daughter had all the right answers (we just went over all this stuff about a week ago and so did her daughter) and I was inwardly proud. She mixed up a few things, but was at least able to answer the questions. My neighbor turns to her daughter and says, "See, she's homeschooled and she knows all of this and here I am paying more than $500 a month to send you to school."  I think I might be reading a little too much into it, but she's been over when we do school work and she sees everything we do for the most part (not because I have to account to her or anything, mostly its coincidental since I babysit her daughter after school and when she comes in she sees the projects we're working on). When she said it though, I felt like I just kicked in the gut, like, we don't do anything and because her daughter is in private school she should know more...  ug. This is really the first time it's happened for me so I was a taken a little off gaurd. I really don't think she meant anything by it, it still just bothered me though...

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Replies (11-13):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM
This is how I took it too.... Homeschooling rocks!

Quoting BusCaptainMama:

Sounds to me like she's second-guessing her decision to private school her daughter... I would feel like for $500 a month mine should know more!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Don't let it get to you. I get comments all the time on how well spoken my son is and how much happier he is now that he is out of ps. He is learning so fast and likes to question everything to find out answers and he retains it. I have a handfull of friends that are like damn why do I send you (their kids) to school for 8 hours a day when he has school like maybe 2 hours a day and he gets to do more. I think its just a shock to some people that we are actually competent and that our kids are actually learning.

wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Sounds like she is thinking that she is paying too much for private school and her daughter not learning a lot of stuff for that amount of money.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)