Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you teaching your kindergartener?? (PIOG but nothing back)

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

I am HSing for the first time because we are moving from one district to another and the new one is just down right horrible. My DD will be tranfering to a private christian school next fall as long as the financial aid comes through for us...even if it doesn't my DH and I are adament about making it work regardless. (we are moving in this district bc it's where I am going to nursing school, my hometown, and have family around to help with my 3 young children)

She has ben in public school all year, can count to oer 100 and she's been working on her reading, time and money counting. I spoke to a very good friend of mine who has HS for about 9 years now and she says with her kindergarteners she just focuses on math and phonics. Is this what you ladies do as well? She mentioned if I wanted to incorporate some science to maybe try astronomy or plants....social studies, try a basic social studies workbook that teaches the basics of geography like N, S, E, W etc. Any suggestions??

Also, what do you use? Being just 2 months of school (we do "homework" even when she doesn't GO to school...but this is my time to offically HS) I don't want to spend a ton of money so what are some inexpensive/free resources you HS mamas use?

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I suggest looking on your State's Education Dept. website, they usually have a content of standards for each grade. I'd go down the list and see what she still needs. The last couple months of public school is usually review for testing. 8) Or you could call the private school and see if they have a list of what they expect their first graders to know upon entering.

Good luck!

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

We are doing the Core Knowledge What your Kindergartner needs to know. I got it from the library and like it a lot so I bought it. I covers everything.

MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:55 AM
2 moms liked this

We did math- adding, subtracting, time, days, weeks, months, bigger, smaller, more, less; language arts- reading and phonics; social studies- other countries, the globe, how to read maps, directions, about our state, president, constitution, cowboys, and what makes up our cities with a focus on our town; and science- magnets, weather, and water (ie; floats, sinks, repels, absorbs) all of that jazz.

lovinlife0607
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM

Thanks!  Very helpful!! :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)