Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling at age three?

Posted by   + Show Post

New here! My name is Paget and my dd is three years old. Her name is Brielle. I want to start homeschooling her till this fall when she can start preschool.  I used to do daycare for ages three but that was so structured and most kids have been going to daycare since babies. This is totally different since I stay at home and things aren't so structured

I have been doing worksheets and flashcards with her for a few months now. I want to start catching her up and hopefully have her ahead of the class by fall. What is the best way to get her on the right track and not make me go crazy?

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM
Replies (21-30):
P.V.Hawkwind
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Ok,Thank you!

Quoting Kaylon:

Preschool and then homeschool when she gets home??  Just my opinion.. If she is going to go to preschool.. I wouldn't do anything formally at home with her.. Read to her, play with playdough, build with blocks..and just have fun learning through playing.  My 6yo and 7yo still learn through play a lot.  :) 

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

No, I want to do some homeschooling till the fall. I would perfer her to be in preschool when fall comes and just homeschool in the afternoons. 

Quoting oredeb:

hi paget, welcome! well if shes only 3 have fun with her! enjoy her being young still, play, laugh, dance, teach her some songs,

are you sending her to preschool somewhere else than at home? so your not homeschooling her?

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You are speaking of "after schooling".

Most believe 3 is too young for formal academics (I'm not one of them) and I'm not looking to ruffle feathers; so (OP) if you want suggestions on formal curriculum (yes, there are several for that age), PM me and I'll be glad to help. As I said, we are starting a formal preschool curriculum with my son this fall at age 3.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I started formal education at about 2.5 y/o w/ both of my kids. I'm one of the few though..lol...but I've always admitted to being anal. I have always designed my own curriculum but I wrote a blog post a few years ago w/ the things I taught to pre-preschoolers.

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2009/06/teaching-pre-preschool-kids.html

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Bah! I'm not the only one! Woot! Lol.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I started formal education at about 2.5 y/o w/ both of my kids. I'm one of the few though..lol...but I've always admitted to being anal. I have always designed my own curriculum but I wrote a blog post a few years ago w/ the things I taught to pre-preschoolers.

http://kickbuttcrazylapbooks.blogspot.com/2009/06/teaching-pre-preschool-kids.html

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

Make Money From Home! www.sellhealthyproducts.com

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hey we can start a club!

I'm not sure why people think educating has to be boring or hard. You can do formal education in a fun way. I think people believe I was forcing my toddler in a torturous session that resembles PS. I'm not sure why they think that when most of the rest of the years of HS don't resemble it, SMH. Do I think ALL kids are ready for more formal education at these ages? Hmmm, yes? Lol. There's no reason you can't do a few minutes here and there, teaching the child about listening and learning, IMO. I found that the kids were rowdy and would act out in boredom in the year before we started. For my kids, instituting a schedule always helped them behaviorally. But I've always been the strict mom, we've always had strict bedtimes and I have always expected proper behavior in public and demand respect. Which I know not all HS parents do, many give the kids more freedom in making their own decisions. But that is not me..lol..

One of my main goals in HS is to give my kids a love of learning so I never saw starting the more formal schoolwork as contradictory of that.
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:14 AM
Ok, I promise this comes from the heart of a mom who has said those words so many times.... So I have to ask.... Why does it matter what your friends kids are doing so much? I see (please please forgive me if I am reading too much into this) in many of your replies how much you rely upon other mothers opinions and friendships to guide you. While this is awesome, its can also wreck havoc on your self esteem and your daughters. Do you have anyone that you can talk with that can be your mommyhood mentor? Someone that has your and your dd best intrest, not pushing her into anything just to be like or better than anyone else.
My ds is extremely brilliant, his iq is ridiculous for his age, and he had a hard time because he was bored. I got the 'its ok, his peers will catch up' speech all the time. My dd, she's verbally ahead, but she has a hard time with fine motor stuff. Hoe ever the kid has some serious body coordination in athletics. Same house, same parents, two totally different kids.
I hope you can see the concern I have, and not just me medling. Enjoy her being 3, it doesn't last long. Get down and color with her, make playdoh fda party treats, blow bubbles. She will be 5 and a know it all when you blink.
Loosen up, have fun, and catch her when she falls. And, don't let the mom bullies tell you how to think. They really don't k.ow as much as they say they do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Dang, just about everytime I read your posts I want a 'freakin love' button. Lol!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hey we can start a club!

I'm not sure why people think educating has to be boring or hard. You can do formal education in a fun way. I think people believe I was forcing my toddler in a torturous session that resembles PS. I'm not sure why they think that when most of the rest of the years of HS don't resemble it, SMH. Do I think ALL kids are ready for more formal education at these ages? Hmmm, yes? Lol. There's no reason you can't do a few minutes here and there, teaching the child about listening and learning, IMO. I found that the kids were rowdy and would act out in boredom in the year before we started. For my kids, instituting a schedule always helped them behaviorally. But I've always been the strict mom, we've always had strict bedtimes and I have always expected proper behavior in public and demand respect. Which I know not all HS parents do, many give the kids more freedom in making their own decisions. But that is not me..lol..

One of my main goals in HS is to give my kids a love of learning so I never saw starting the more formal schoolwork as contradictory of that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinlife0607
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Yes!  Definitely go with ABCMOUSE.com.  They cost a few dollars a month but definitely worth it.  My dd who is in kindergarten, uses it at school with her teacher and when we move, I will be getting it for her, her sister and brother too.  She really loves it...they do it on a "smart board" at school but we will just it on the pc.  I agree with just playing with her as well.  She's just 3.  My kids, including my DS who is just 2, knows his colors, shapes, counting to 20, etc etc already just from playing with him and having his sisters around. :)  The only thing I did when they were 2 were the brainquest boks as far as "Formally" hsing.  That was to get her started with writing, following directions etc. :)

Quoting rsrangel:

At 3 they can learn best through play.  My boys didn't do any "school" at that age but I did let them do learning games on the computer, watch educational shows, arts and crafts and play play play, and they picked up a lot from this.   My daughter however (who is 3 and her middle name is Brielle by the way haha), looooves "school" and wants to do everything her older brothers do.  So I started all 3 of my little ones (ages 3, 4 and 5) on abcmouse.com and the "learn at home" kindergarten book and she is keeping up really well, and enjoys it.  My 5 year old is more advanced in some things like math and reading.  Then I have a 1st grader who does completely different stuff.   If either of the youngest ones doesn't want to do it, I don't make them.  In my opinion flash cards are boring and I would find different way to teach the concepts.  But my daughter does love worksheets so I do use those, but not all the time.  If she doesn't seem interested and would rather play then SO much can be learned from singing, games, pretend play, sidewalk chalk outside, counting McDonalds french fris before you eat them (my son loved when I did that with him), cooking together, etc. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:10 AM

winkAww, shucks, that's sweet! Thanks!

Quoting hottmommi42:

Dang, just about everytime I read your posts I want a 'freakin love' button. Lol!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Hey we can start a club!

P.V.Hawkwind
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 10:38 AM
Thanks

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You are speaking of "after schooling".

Most believe 3 is too young for formal academics (I'm not one of them) and I'm not looking to ruffle feathers; so (OP) if you want suggestions on formal curriculum (yes, there are several for that age), PM me and I'll be glad to help. As I said, we are starting a formal preschool curriculum with my son this fall at age 3.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)