Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

This worked great for us teaching CH, SH and TH Blends...

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 3 year old is great at reading words that can be sounded out, and a few sight words (i.e. The big cat sat on the rug). But, I was trying to figure out how to teach him "ch," "sh," and "th" words without  him trying to read them phonetically. I ended up printing clip-art (pics of "chair, church, etc...) and the words themselves onto full sheet labels. Then I cut the pics and words out for each sound, and had him match each picture with the right word. Then he peeled the backs and stuck each pic and it's word onto a page of a blank board book. Now he has three books: "Adrian's CH Book," Adrian's SH Book," and "Adrian's TH Book." he made one book, then we spent the next 2 or 3 days noticing and recognizing that sound in books, on signs, in spoken words, etc. before going on to create the next book. Now he recognizes all three blends in any books we read!  Bonus: He LOVES the books he made and shows them to everyone - great review!

by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Great Idea!

dazguti
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Quoting mem82:

Great Idea!

oredeb
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM

fantastic!!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM
Aww, what an awesome idea! Thank you for sharing :) I love it when mamas get creative!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pamelachi
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:07 AM

That is awesome!  I was just trying to figure out how to teach this.  Thanks :)

dazguti
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Thank you, Ladies :)  Hopefully someone can use the idea to help thier kiddos :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)