Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Sick days?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM
  • 12 Replies
Why do you do when your child is sick? Teach anyway?

My DS is 3. He has a really bad chest infection. He's been sick nearly 2 weeks now. On antibiotics and everything. He can't breathe, he wants to play but can't really, he is bored out of his mind!

But he can't concentrate on school work. We haven't gone anywhere in 3 weeks (I was sick the week before he got sick).

Do you still try to teach? If he were in Public or preschool he wouldn't be going he's that sick.

What do you do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1Redapple
by on Feb. 24, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I have my daughter do what she can.  I read to her what needs to be read or else it won't get done.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 24, 2012 at 9:25 PM
It worries me he has been sick so long! Poor guy! I've had a bad cough for 3 months (yes months, apparently your immunorepressed when you are pregnant) and for the first month and a half it was awful. I had no energy, I couldn't breath, coughing made me puke. I've heard something like this is going around, I'm not sure if your sons is similar. Antibiotics didn't help me either. :( I hope he feels better quick!

As far as your question goes, maybe just do a little bit at a time. There is nothing wrong with taking a break until he feels better, but if you think it would give him something to do, and you'd feel better getting a little work done, have him do one subject a day.

When I was sick with morning sickness we took a month off, only doing the bare minimum. Some days only math got done, some days more, some days nothing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this
Your DS is 3. There is no reason to push it at all if ither of you are ill. 99% of a 3yos learning should revolve around play and fun.

Relax, recouperate and have fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM
Thanks!! I just got back from the dr with him! They were concerned about bronchitis. He had to have an X-ray!! So scary!

He is fine. Dr believes that he caught my cold 2 wks ago which opened him up for a chest infection (bacterial) and that opened him up for yet another virus.

Basically, let him do what he feels up to. No swim lessons or gym class but he can play outside. Albuterol for his breathing 5-7 days. If he's still coughing go to his reg doc.

Thank God it wasn't bronchitis.

Quoting Boobah:

It worries me he has been sick so long! Poor guy! I've had a bad cough for 3 months (yes months, apparently your immunorepressed when you are pregnant) and for the first month and a half it was awful. I had no energy, I couldn't breath, coughing made me puke. I've heard something like this is going around, I'm not sure if your sons is similar. Antibiotics didn't help me either. :( I hope he feels better quick!

As far as your question goes, maybe just do a little bit at a time. There is nothing wrong with taking a break until he feels better, but if you think it would give him something to do, and you'd feel better getting a little work done, have him do one subject a day.

When I was sick with morning sickness we took a month off, only doing the bare minimum. Some days only math got done, some days more, some days nothing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM
Thanks! My DH was making me feel guilty he didn't have school time much these last 3 weeks.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Your DS is 3. There is no reason to push it at all if ither of you are ill. 99% of a 3yos learning should revolve around play and fun.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Feb. 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL.... You're welcome! ....I'm sure many on this board are thinking "wow, Jinx is a major, school at home, schedule following, strict Mom" ...but even I don't belieeve in pushing a 3yo! ..lol

I hope everyone gets back to 100% soon...and remember...have fun with the little one!

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Thanks! My DH was making me feel guilty he didn't have school time much these last 3 weeks.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 25, 2012 at 8:58 AM
Oh gosh, I hadn't realized he was 3! Yes! Take a break! Lol

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:16 AM

You didnt get the nick name "warden" for no reason lol ;-)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

LOL.... You're welcome! ....I'm sure many on this board are thinking "wow, Jinx is a major, school at home, schedule following, strict Mom"...but even I don't belieeve in pushing a 3yo! ..lol

I hope everyone gets back to 100% soon...and remember...have fun with the little one!

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM

We usually do fun, light stuff - like watching educational movies, playing educational games, etc. So it seems like a vaca. But if they get really bored then I let them do whatever feels good - usually they ask for school work..lol

lovinlife0607
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:53 AM

same here.  We will be HSing in April but when dd is home from school sick, she gets so board laying on the couch or in bed so she asks for schoolwork or something for her to do while sitting there. :)

Quoting KickButtMama:

We usually do fun, light stuff - like watching educational movies, playing educational games, etc. So it seems like a vaca. But if they get really bored then I let them do whatever feels good - usually they ask for school work..lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN