Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

For those with older readers, hard copy or….?

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM
  • 10 Replies

We have so many tools and resources out there for us in today's age. One of those tools is an electronic reader - i.e. Kindle, Nook, Ipad, Ipod, etc.

When you have your child read - are you using hard copy books or electronic? I love the feel of a good book and there is nothing like getting a new one. sitting down to read it with a cup of coffee in my hands. However, reality is that electronic books can be cheaper at times- i.e. all the classics for free, and new books discounted etc. 

What do you do to build your library?

by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 5:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 5:48 PM

We use regular old school books. LOL

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 25, 2012 at 6:56 PM

We use both. My kids love to pick out books at the library, it isn't as much fun to pick out an ebook!

victoriaherring
by Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 6:58 PM
I will probably use both. If using something she thinks is cool like an iPad can get her to read then I'm all for it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Feb. 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Reality Schmality (lol). I disagree with this new "reality" of making everything easier and cheaper just for the sake of it.

No e-readers allowed. We only use hard copies. We limit (severely) all screen time during school hours. Screen time is unlimited during free (non-school) time. In their free time the children allowed unlimited access to gaming systems, televisions, and computers.T's career is in technology, so we encourage it's use outside of school.

We are just book snobs for the sake of it. Lol.

We build our home library with a mix of Amazon and Barnes and Noble. No used books - after visiting family in Philly, we are now terrified of bed bugs. Lol. For textbooks we order from a variety of suppliers.

We have tons of books. So many, in fact, that most are in the basement boxed up because we have no more bookshelf room upstairs :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosey, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child. I believe that my place, as a woman, is in the home caring for my husband and children. My husband is head of our home.             Aimee

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM
Both. Really it depends on where it is cheaper an ebook or hard copy. I don't have any technophobia
Kathey4759
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Quoting usmom3:

We use both. My kids love to pick out books at the library, it isn't as much fun to pick out an ebook!

oredeb
by on Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:18 PM

hard copy books for us!

krazymama4
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:24 PM

we use both they read hard copy and they read on eggexpress books too

Jane_Doe
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM
1 mom liked this
We have done mostly hard copy. The batteries never need recharged on a book. :)

My daughter has several books on her iPod. She has only read one so far. I let her read pretty much anything she wants. She prefers hard copy. The only rule I have about reading is that if something is written for an older audience, I read it first to check for content. I read everything she does, anyway. We like to discuss what she's reading, and I secretly love children's books. ;)
lucsch
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Both.

I love my Kindle! I can have thousands of books in my purse. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)