Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just brought my baby can read for my daughter

Posted by   + Show Post

Any reviews???

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 2:38 AM
Replies (11-17):
MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

They will actually be behind their peers because they will have zero understanding just memorization. To know the letters without the sounds is useless. I cannot believe the drive to have yours kids so far ahead of other kids has resulted in us "teaching" (not!) our infants how to memorize. Let them be babies!

Quoting Knjbooks:

It may be good to learn to memorize words because they will be far ahead of the class when they start to learn the sounds of individual letters. In Pre school children are required to identify 10 letters, not sounds so I think that will be great!

OvisMommy
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:48 PM

thanks im going to try it

mmyof2armywife
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I have it and it bores my dd. bad.
Lynette
by Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I would NOT use it.  It teaches site reading which will make phonics harder down the road.  Kids who learn to site read before phonics have a much harder time trying to sound out words.  They guess at them and don't want to work them out.

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 6 and 9 and a 3yr old girl.  Baby #4 coming April 2012.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

mcr17
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM

you wasted your money. it doesnt work at all

Lynette
by Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

from what I have read it is better for kids to know letter sounds before they are taught letter names.

Quoting MedicMommy2:

They will actually be behind their peers because they will have zero understanding just memorization. To know the letters without the sounds is useless. I cannot believe the drive to have yours kids so far ahead of other kids has resulted in us "teaching" (not!) our infants how to memorize. Let them be babies!

Quoting Knjbooks:

It may be good to learn to memorize words because they will be far ahead of the class when they start to learn the sounds of individual letters. In Pre school children are required to identify 10 letters, not sounds so I think that will be great!

Lynette-Homeschooling SAHM  of  boys ages 6 and 9 and a 3yr old girl.  Baby #4 coming April 2012.  Living in WI. 

Come join me in LDS Homeschoolers

Lynette
by Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

very best thing you can do for your kids is just read to them.  Add in following the words with your finger as you read and it might even speed things up further.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN