Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Tell us about your co-op!

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM
  • 15 Replies
How often do you go, what are the hours, classes/activities your children do, etc...

If you aren't in one, are you thinking about joining a co-op?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:03 PM
We don't have a co-op. We are in a HS group though. We have field trips together. We haven't been able to do much with them since the group has gotten bigger because now it seems like everything they do is far away. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Moma3boyz
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM
I would love to join a co-op. We only have 1 in our county though and my husband isn't too sure he wants the boys to go to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
samsbaby78
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 12:55 PM

i havent been able to find one where i live. i would love one though. i cant even find any homschoolers around here.

Saraho5
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 1:29 PM
I only personally know two homeschooling families around here, but I'm hoping to meet some more at co-op in a few weeks & learn more about it. They are doing a variety of classes for a six week period. I'm helping in the nursery lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wright1212
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Current COOP: around here they are all faith based (i had to sign an agreement) and are all held in churches. My goes 9-12:30. There are 3 1-hour classes with a 30m mandatory devotional. Parents teach the classes and all parents are required to help in 2 of their childrens classes. There is a nursery for 4 and under. I think there are over 50 families. Parents must also do at least 1 set and 1 cleanup per semester. Cost is $25 a family then class fees. I personally got excused for cleanup setup and am a 1 on 1 aid to my oldest with special needs. We are also allowed to use a room next to devotional since that many people in a tiny room is hard for him. We are thankful they are so accomodating.

Former COOP: met 1 day a week and had 4 1-hour classes. I had to leave though since they didnt have nursery and I couldnt truly help my oldest and watch my youngest. (at home its easy since its set up to meet both their needs).

ALSO-I personally would like to have non-religion based COOPS to help EVERYONE feel welcome, I would also prefer more just free play type things..im working on that part.

wright1212
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

For those with no one...there are almost always other feeling the same exact way as you. Perhaps you can use your library or a park and just set up a basic meet and greet. Say next friday 12-2 homeschoolers play date. It might end up being just you and your kids will have fun at the park! I met some family doing just that though! Things can always grow from there. Most homeschoolers I know really want to find ways to be with others..and 1/2 of them just never commit to it..so just being persistent and positive can make it happen.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:03 PM
We do 2 coops. One is on Tuesday's from 9:30-2 and it runs for 12 weeks, 2 semesters a year. Our other meets Fridays from 9:30-3, but we usually skip the last class. It runs for 8 weeks, 4 semesters a year. The Tuesday is the more formal with many core subjects, whereas the Friday tends to be much more relaxed.

I generally teach science courses. This semester on Tuesday's I'm teaching medieval history & a videography class. On Fridays I'm teaching an electricity course.
swim-mom72
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Our co-op has many activities other than weekly classes that meet for 8 weeks in the Fall and 9 weeks in the Spring: teen/tween monthly activities, monthly mom's night out, field trips, field day, park days, etc... We accept ages birth to 18 and have to pay national and local dues of $25 per year.

We love this co-op so much, we drive 45 min just to get there! It seemed crazy to me at first, but it is so worth it. The classes are different every semester. This semester we are offering things like computer basics, fun math, highschool lit., journalism, beginners spanish, PE, and drama(which I am teaching).

TexasKaty
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Wow, where is this?

Quoting swim-mom72:

Our co-op has many activities other than weekly classes that meet for 8 weeks in the Fall and 9 weeks in the Spring: teen/tween monthly activities, monthly mom's night out, field trips, field day, park days, etc... We accept ages birth to 18 and have to pay national and local dues of $25 per year.

We love this co-op so much, we drive 45 min just to get there! It seemed crazy to me at first, but it is so worth it. The classes are different every semester. This semester we are offering things like computer basics, fun math, highschool lit., journalism, beginners spanish, PE, and drama(which I am teaching).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
swim-mom72
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Quoting TexasKaty:

Wow, where is this?

Quoting swim-mom72:

The cop-op meets in Copperfield,Texas, near Katy. It is called First Class.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)