Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone want to share their school rooms? *Edit*

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM
  • 31 Replies

I have this huge finished basement with amazing wall space that I want to convert into a school room (that has to share one small corner for my office) but, I have no idea even where to start. I am trying to find an old dining table on freecycle instead of desks, and outside that, I am one lost mama! Also, if anyone can help me figure out how to post pics, that would be awesome! Thanks for the help ladies!

*these are wonderful! Thank you so much! I am getting great ideas!*

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedfamily06
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:20 PM

i just asked this in another post lol

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 7:34 PM

dang! I tried to scan them before I posted, but I missed it! Can you link it to me and I'll follow along too?? Thanks!

Quoting blessedfamily06:

i just asked this in another post lol

Saraho5
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM
At first, I really really thought I wanted a school room, but now I think we'll use the dining room table mostly. Just makes more sense for me to let my 3 and 1 year old roam while I'm helping my 6 year old. That way I'm not tied to a specific room really. I'd love to see some pics tho... I'll bet there are some cute ones out there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3inapril09
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Right now my dad is living with me so he is using the 4th bedroom I want to use for our "school room". My kids need a separate space or they will try to goof off all day, right now I have them in a corner of my bedroom so they keep on track. Once my dad moves out (I hope it is sooner rather than later) I will post before and after pictures.

wright1212
by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this

I have worked so hard this year to really put together a good room. The previous owners painted it red and had a pool table and such in that room. I have a den next to it with all our books, tv, videos ect. I bought 4 more bookshelves, tons of those shoebox size bins, toy organizers, posters ect. This week we finally started painting it white and fixed a plumbing issue. It is set up semi like a preschool for my 2yo with his zones, my 9yoASD so sensory areas, then my 7yo and her special desk area. I should and hope to have updated VLOG in the next week or two when we finish. Someone please msg me and remind me LOL! You can click to my vlog in my siggie and see the really awful before video.

Mommy to Corbin (9-epilepsy,autism, add) Kayla (6) Collin (2), Wife to Ben-OT, and I love teaching- M.Ed Early Childhood. SAHM & Homeschooling. Come watch us at www.youtube.com/user/1212wright

LindaMRamos
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:03 AM

I have prepared school rooms twice now.  Once in my son's old bedroom after he moved out and the basement (which has since turned into the game/play area).  Both times we still ended up in the dining room.  My daughter will even take her work and do it on my bed. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I loved mine, I don't have pics on here though. I'll try to remember to come back whenim on the computer :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Thanks, Boobah! I know many people don't use them, but my theory is that if my kids are begging me to have everything in one spot, it's time to do something! LOL. I think they get frustrated that they get comfy in one spot, and then have to travel the house looking for the stuff they need. I would be frustrated too!! My basement just has the space needed, and its where everyone is more comfy, so I figured why not. Thanks again!!

Quoting Boobah:

I loved mine, I don't have pics on here though. I'll try to remember to come back whenim on the computer :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 27, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Let me tell you, I agree! Having a school room was amazing for us. Everything in one spot, no having to go room to room to find things, everything was at our finger tips, we had a routine. *sigh*

I decided to let my kids have their own rooms, and took our school room away. Worst decision I could have made for us. We haven't been the same since and definitely do not get as much done.

I'll be back with pics. :)

Quoting hottmommi42:

Thanks, Boobah! I know many people don't use them, but my theory is that if my kids are begging me to have everything in one spot, it's time to do something! LOL. I think they get frustrated that they get comfy in one spot, and then have to travel the house looking for the stuff they need. I would be frustrated too!! My basement just has the space needed, and its where everyone is more comfy, so I figured why not. Thanks again!!

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovepotato
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM

i'm in the process of organizing my entire house lol, with one room that's going to be our classroom. It used to be my office but it was too small. We're moving my office to the playroom, which was also too small for all the kids' toys. The kids toys are going to go into the basement where we're currently setting up the playroom. So we're moving stuff around and unpacking finally (we moved last June). We have to buy tons of shelves and cabinets, so its going slowly. I'm hoping to have everything done by June though, when I'm due.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)