Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have your children dress for school? Thank you...EDITED

Posted by   + Show Post

Even tho you homeschool, do your children get dressed as if going to public school?

I have a couple ladies in my homeschool group whose children don't get dressed. My girls get up at 7 and are ready for school by 8:30 or 9. I like getting them dressed just in case its a beautiful day out. We love being outdoors and if they are already dressed then we go. 

Anyways was just curious.

Thank you all so much. This is our first year homeschooling. I was worried that if I didn't get them up everyday by a certain time or have them dressed and all that, that I could get in trouble with the state. I guess we can relax a lil now. There are some days that I've wanted to just be more relaxed and lounge around. lol.

Thanks again

by on Feb. 26, 2012 at 11:18 PM
Replies (31-40):
MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Clothes for our kids seem to be optional. Our 5 year old hangs out in his underwear and the 2 year old in a diaper or just a shirt. I don't really care either way . We do not have a strict schedule for school anyways, when we get up we eat and then tidy up and then see where everyones mood is and right now we are watching micky mouse club house all in our jammies. We tend to do school in the afternoons and evenings because that is when ds learns better.

Mrs.Miller11
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I try to treat home school with a good amount of responsibility and importance. 98% of the time, we get dressed right after breakfast, although there are some days when we are a bit lazy and have lessons in our pjs.

buzymom93
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

we get dressed.. not by any certain time tho.. i let him sleep til he wants to get up, but then he has to make the bed and get dressed and eat breakfast.. sometimes he sleeps in late cause he was up later the night before.. i don't have a problem with that.. if we have to go somewhere i just wake him up andhave him get dressed.. now saturdays are jammy days and he can stay in them all day if he wants unless we go somewhere.. he rarely does now days though cuz he is ready to go outside and play.. lol

now my mom thinks i should get him up early and get him dressed and do formal schooling.. we just don't do that..

Christian Homeschooling Mamma to two wonderful, busy, boys... Mario, 19yrs, and Isaiah, 6yrs

Check out my blog:    http://ourcrazyhomeschoollife.blogspot.com/

mom4wine
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:42 PM

DS has to be up at 7:30a.m. and have breakfast and be dressed by 8. He does get one day a month for pajama day.

Knightquester
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Most of the time they are required to get up, dressed and ready before school which is around 9 o'clock.  We do have days where not everybody is feeling well, or it's icky out and they are more sleepy then normal that I will call our lounge days where they can wear what they feel most comfortable in.

Bethsunshine
by on Mar. 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. They don't wear pajamas to bed, they usually sleep in sweatpants or shorts so that's what they wear unless we go somewhere, which is almost every day. I had to get myself out of the "school mode" a few years ago; I was trying to duplicate a classroom by scheduling things down to the minute. In the process I drove myself and my children nuts and nobody was learning anything.  If I wanted them chained to a desk 7 hours a day, I'd send them to school.

Join us in Christian Homeschoolers!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/3200

bether89
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Sometimes my son will not get dressed unless we are leaving the house.  However, most day we get dressing before school.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Mar. 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM
Aww, no getting in trouble :) I'm glad you can relax now! Spend tomorrow in your pj's! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:53 AM
3 moms liked this

Nope. If we aren't leaving the house, DD stays in her PJs until she showers that night, then she changes into a new pair. If we have plans in the afternoon she usually stays in her PJs until she is finished with school work.

I find it funny that some make their kids get ready as if they they were gong to school because they want school to be serious. I guess that just shows how relaxed and on the verge of unschooling I really am. The last thing I want to do with homeschooling is make it like school.

awilliams77
by on Mar. 6, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Well, my 12 yr old doesn't wear pajamas - he prefers to sleep in jeans and a tshirt! Our teen girls wear yoga pants/shorts/sweats unless they are going somewhere.  Just depends on what we are doing that day. No big deal.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN