Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know girls who are great at math and love to talk?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:54 AM
  • 12 Replies

Big-Mouthed Girls Are Better at Multiplication

Posted by April Peveteaux on February 24, 2012 

girls good at mathI admit this at the risk of perpetuating a stereotype: I suck at math. I had to take college algebra three times before I passed (by the way, why do journalism majors have to even take algebra?), and I suffered through every single math class I ever was forced into. With that said, I've never doubted that girls can be just as good at math as boys. Even though I was better with language and the smartest boy in my class excelled at math, I knew not everyone fit into this mold. Now a new study backs up my gut instinct and shows that girls really can have it all! 

In fact, girls who excel at language have an advantage at math. Huzzah!

This study tested girls and boys and showed that the two disciplines were not unrelated. Girls who could throw down some rhymes could also throw down some equations. My own mother switched her major in college from math to English when she decided it would be more fun to teach English. But her math skills were still exceptional. And my kindergartner (who started saying "hi" to people at 6 months) is showing signs of being a budding math pro herself. So clearly, I'm the exception in my family rather than the rule.

All of this is to say, don't put girls in the corner during math class. We really can do it all.

Do you know girls who are great at math and love to talk?

by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 3:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:22 AM
I talk too much, but I'm not outstanding in math. I can manage, and I passed my classes but I definitely do not excel. I always found math girls to be quieter, interesting!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Honestly, I've always had a huge mouth. I grew up inking I was stupid when it came to math. I remember teachers telling me, 'well, it's not like YOU'LL use any of this!" I dropped out of high school at the end of my junior year and home educated for 1 semester to get the credits to graduate. I signed up for college, just to keep my fathers medical insurance. But then during finals week of that first semester, I got sick. In a time before online learning, I was given a special dispensation to waive my attendance, so as long as I handed in all work, and made it to tests, that's what I'd be graded on. 2 years later I was transferring to a 4 year college w/ my Assoc completed, still very sick. When meeting with the guidance counselor at the university to determine what I should major in, I was shrugging not really caring. See, I liked learning, but the only job I ever wanted was wife & mom. Anyway, she recommended I think about going into the sciences or maths. I flat out told her I wasn't smart enough for that. She looked at me like I was crazy and said I had taked every single math & science course offered at my previous college - and graduated wit ha 4.0 GPA. I was somewhat surprised. I had mostly taken any class I could - usually 7 per semester, just to stave off the boredom associated w/ my illness.

3 years later I finished my degree in physics & geology. I worked for a few years as an aeronautical engineer. And became angry that the system made me feel stupid. If I hadn't gotten sick, I would have lived out my life believing tat of myself. So I realized I'm great at math, as long as I'm allowed to play with it, and don't have someone there trying to explain it to me.....as that just sounds like jibberish. I'll never forget my first college algebra, when I figured out Scientific Notation. I. Alled my grandfather over (smartest guy I knew) and asked him to check that I'd done it right. He said I had, and I replied, "well, why didn't anyone ever just SAY that!" it all seemed so simple, but I remember being stumped in high school when et teacher strove to explain it.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I love algebra - hate geometry. I can't do a proof to save my life unless its *exceptionally* simple...as in there is one step only... Algebra and trig seemed soooo simple to me. I took honors Alg 1 and 2 in highschoool, Functions Statistics and Trig my senior yr, but still had to do College Alg because I failed every proof on the entrance exam so I couldn't skip out of it. My geometry teacher passed me just to get me out of his class, and I think he felt bad beccause I was on varisity track, and he was a track coach. I had his class 8th hr and during cross country and track season, I left the class early at least twice a week for a meet.  I tried asking for help several times, but my study halls never landed the same time the math lab was open, and if I asked the teacher for help, he was "too busy" with track stuff.  Some days I wonder if he continued to pass me because I was pulling big points for the team.  O well...haven't "needed" geometry on that level yet lol.
My daughter, who is a big time chatter box, is turning out to really love math. She's impatient though... She can multipy and divide (shes "in" 2nd grade) and wants to continue on to the next "big thing" but she still isn't confident enough in her adding and subtracting, which in turn is making her struggle a little in multiplication and division. She's getting annoyed with the "reviewing" but hubby and I don't think she's ready to move on even if she thinks she is...

1Redapple
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Before Barbie Doll was silenced in the 1990's she was correct to say Math is difficult.

I do have a girl 11 who is 5th grade.  She does her Language Arts work first everyday and works even harder (IMO)to avoid math lessons.  She is doing well with written language and likes reading. But...she won't approach others to begin conversation when we are away from home.  She waits to be invited to talk, as her mom,it is very hard to watch that happen, but I was like that and no matter how many times I have told her in her life, to just say something, she can't if she doesn't know the girl/person.  So are those issues related to her language skills?  I'm so interested in this!

April

bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I talk way to much. Put my foot in my mouth regularly and so does my oldest daughter. She is really, really good at math and it is her favorite subject.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 27, 2012 at 11:15 AM

My DD talks all the time & would rather do math then read!

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

My dd is a big talker (though she has speech pronunciation issues) and good at math. It isn't her favorite subject, though.

I always loved math, but I've never been a talker. In fact, I suspect that I have a language disability (slight).

I nearly had a math minor in college, BTW.

kittyfaery
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:09 PM
I was always pretty good at math. I am not a big talker though. I was always pretty good at English too though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bonni
by on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I am really good at math and very loquacious.  In fact. I have a degree in Accounting and two degrees in English.  

oredeb
by debbie on Feb. 27, 2012 at 4:25 PM

hahahahah

lets see, my 3rd dd is a wiz in any math and lang. arts but shes not a talker, but she did talk earlier than the others

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)