Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can the government tell us what to teach our kids? Is this law right?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM
  • 14 Replies

HOMESCHOOLERS CAN'T BE TAUGHT 'GAY' SEX SINFUL

You won't believe latest intrusion by government

Homeschooling families will soon be forbidden from teaching that homosexual sex is sinful as part of their schooling program, according to the government of Alberta, Canada.

Under the province’s Education Act, homeschoolers and religious schools will be banned from “disrespecting” people’s differences, Alberta Education Minister Thomas Lukaszuk’s office told LifeSiteNews just last week.

“Whatever the nature of schooling – homeschool, private school, Catholic school – we do not tolerate disrespect for differences,” said Donna McColl, Lukaszuk’s assistant director of communications. “You can affirm the family’s ideology in your family life, you just can’t do it as part of your educational study and instruction.”

Americans embrace many things that would have horrified their parents’ generation – from easy divorce and unrestricted abortion to teaching homosexuality to grade-schoolers. Does that mean they’re inherently more morally confused and depraved than previous generations? Find out in “The Marketing of Evil” and “How Evil Works” – at the WND Superstore.

Paul Faris, president of the Home School Legal Defence Association of Canada, told the news website the Ministry of Education is “clearly signaling that they are in fact planning to violate the private conversations families have in their own homes. A government that seeks that sort of control over our personal lives should be feared and opposed.”

According to the report, a government spokesman said, “You can affirm the family’s ideology in your family life. You just can’t do it as part of your educational study and instruction.”

HSLDA and other homeschool organizations have expressed concerns that the new Alberta Education Act would to force “diversity” education on all schools – including private and home schools.

The legislation, known as Bill 2 in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, requires that all schools “reflect the diverse nature and heritage of society in Alberta, promote understanding and respect for others and honour and respect the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the Alberta Human Rights Act.”

LifeSiteNews reports that the Human Rights Act has been used to target Christians and conservatives across the country, especially those who hold traditional beliefs about homosexuality.

McColl added that Christian homeschooling families can teach biblical lessons on homosexuality in their homes, “as long as it’s not part of their academic program of studies and instructional materials.”

“What they want to do about their ideology elsewhere, that’s their family business,” she said. “But a fundamental nature of our society is to respect diversity.”

According to the report, when McColl was asked by LifeSiteNews to explain the distinction between homeschoolers’ education and their family life, she replied that the question involved “real nuances” and said she would need to get back to reporter with specifics.

In a second interview, McColl explained that the government “won’t speculate” about specific examples and said she hadn’t been given a “straight answer” on what precisely constitutes “disrespect” – adding that families “can’t be hatemongering, if you will.”

The news site reports several Canadian provinces – including Quebec, Ontario, British Columbia and now Alberta – have seen major battles in the last two years over “increasing normalization of homosexuality in the schools.”

Patty Marler, government liaison for the Alberta Home Education Association, told the website she was astonished at the Ministry’s candor. She wondered how the government would stipulate the difference between homeschoolers’ school and family time.

“We educate our children all the time, and that’s just the way we live. It’s a lifestyle,” she said. “Making that distinction between the times when we’re homeschooling and when we’re just living is really hard to do.”

She added, “Throw in the fact that I do use the Bible as part of my curriculum, and now I’m very blatantly going to be teaching stuff that will be against [the Alberta Human Rights Act].”

In 2009, the Alberta Human Rights Act was amended to classify marriage as an institution between two “persons,” rather than a man and a woman.

“When I read Genesis and it talks about marriage being one man in union with one woman, I am very, very clearly opposing the human rights act that says it’s one person marrying another person,” Marler said.

Faris noted that the most troubling issue is how government is attempting to control homeschoolers and how they teach their own children in their own homes.

He added that many homeschoolers have been receiving misleading information when they call the Minister’s office, which has been saying, “‘Look, there are no changes here. We’re not going to do anything differently,’ and other things like that.”

“The long arm of the government wants to reach into family’s homes and control what they teach to their own children in their own homes about religion, sexuality and morality,” Faris said. “These are not the words of a government that is friendly to homeschooling or to parental freedom.”

LifeSiteNews noted that the Progressive Conservative government has 67 of the 83 seats in the Alberta Legislature, so the bill is almost certain to pass. However, with an election coming up, the new right-wing Wildrose Alliance Party may have a strong showing.

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blessedfamily06
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Ill teach whatever i want in my house i cant belive the goverment can do this

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I have no idea what they can do in the law in Canada, but I'm pretty sure people (especially homeschoolers) will teach whatever they want.
I know the government does currently tell us what we do need to teach (in some states). But how much they enforce it I don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HadleyAzure
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I don't understand how they could enforce it.  I think it's really sad though that Alberta officials have to make it mandatory to teach respecting of others differences.

HadleyAzure
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Quoting blessedfamily06:

Ill teach whatever i want in my house i cant belive the goverment can do this

They can't really make you do anything. I think it's possible to teach any subject without making it about other's lives or beliefs. I think that is what they are trying to do. For example, if John and Jane Doe are racist they can't teach their kids that education wise. They can't try to make racism a curriculum or teach stereotypes as facts. They could say we believe _____ but other's don't.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
THIS IS WHY I HATE HSLDA!!! They put out email like this, with a "the sky is falling" mentality. None of them are ever remotely accurate.

A few years ago they put out a series of emails statin HS was going to be ILLEGAL in CA....all because a family court judge scolded 2 parents for saying they were HS'ers when in fact they were lazy slobs. As a legal company, HSLDA should have realizes family court judges do not make legislation.

Did some random govt employee in Alberta say it should be mandatory to teach this? Probably, but it was probably a sound bite on bullying and discrimination from the state house janitor for all we know.
GraceNoahsmom
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Personally I think if they use the language "respect differences" we are all fine,  I teach my children to respect people of all kinds, so does the bible.  That doesn't mean I have to agree with them...or think what they are doing is right.  We all teach our children what we think is right and wrong and respect people if they don't agree. 

Terri

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Right now in Florida we are fighting  the State over something similar.  They are trying to pass HB859 which would require private schools to use the curriculum mandated by the State rather than the curriculum of their choice.    It they are able to force private schools, they will go for home educators next. 

As a tutor, I am surprised what I am finding in the State mandated curriculum.  New World Order And School Text Books .  So you are very wise, gagcbaker to stay on top of such things.

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I don't know about in Canada but Homeschoolers here in America are very good about fighting to keep crap like that out of the laws!

vsjc
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Wow. All I have to say is that government doesn't do much in terms of educating themselves on homeschooling. As said earlier, there is no set distinction between school time and non school time. We are teaching our kids all the time. Not all comes from a textbook, sitting at a desk. It IS a lifestyle. Good luck with that Canada.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree. It is a bit of a hypocritical law. Its disrespctful to say that people who don't agree cant disagree. 

Quoting HadleyAzure:

I don't understand how they could enforce it.  I think it's really sad though that Alberta officials have to make it mandatory to teach respecting of others differences.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)