Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A homeschooler in the White House?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM
  • 14 Replies

Rick Santorum recently was in the news for homeschooling his children- I'm not exactly clear on why that was such a big deal- but how do you feel about having a homeschooling parent in the white house?  Even if it is Santorum, do you think a homeschooling parent would add a good perspective to the oval office?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wanderingwolf
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Well first off I don't see how Rick Santorum has women supporters at all since he's made it clear he hates women and homosexuals. If that guy got into office women could kiss higher education (past 4th grade) goodbye and kiss away all the rights we gained in the 1960s because we'd back to being nothing but property and breeding stock for our masters (I mean our husbands and fathers). At least that is my and my grandmother's thinking anyway. Probably nothing but sexist christian white men voting for the guy. I'm referring to the men who profess to be Christian but seem to think a woman's place is making sons and for sex. Secondly.... I would have no issue with a homeschooling parent in the white house. However how are they going to run the country if they are busy homeschooling their kids?
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:04 AM
Odds are, their wife is or they are paying someone, not them themselves but I could be wrong.

And holy wow - this is why I hate voting.

Quoting wanderingwolf:

Well first off I don't see how Rick Santorum has women supporters at all since he's made it clear he hates women and homosexuals. If that guy got into office women could kiss higher education (past 4th grade) goodbye and kiss away all the rights we gained in the 1960s because we'd back to being nothing but property and breeding stock for our masters (I mean our husbands and fathers). At least that is my and my grandmother's thinking anyway. Probably nothing but sexist christian white men voting for the guy. I'm referring to the men who profess to be Christian but seem to think a woman's place is making sons and for sex. Secondly.... I would have no issue with a homeschooling parent in the white house. However how are they going to run the country if they are busy homeschooling their kids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Quoting wanderingwolf:

I agree w/ your view of Santorum, but I'm an admitted flaming liberal..lol...

And I agree, I think it would be difficult for there to be a HS parent in the white house. That would b like the president or first lady keeping their job as a teacher, car pooled (running to all the extra programs) etc. so either the poor kid HS'ers or the job would suffer for having a HS family in the white house. Now, someone who has HS'ed in the past? I'm all over it! I'd love a prez w/ some personal experience w/ HS but I don't see it as essential to having one sympathetic to HS. Just like I don't think the pres has to have a terminal illness in order to understand the need for a change in health care.
oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM

wow i didnt know that, how many kids does he have?  how long has he been hsing?  yes i think a hser would add a good perspective to the oval office!

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Well, if it was ANYONE but Santorum, it would be good.  

But he's an absolute whack-a-doo, and would only encourage some of the negative homeschool stereotypes IMO. 

oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM

who is this guy? how'd he get to be in there? never heard of him before,

Quoting katzmeow726:

But he's an absolute whack-a-doo, and would only encourage some of the negative homeschool stereotypes IMO. 

katzmeow726
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Presidential GOP candidate.

As to how he got to be in the race, apparently he has people that like him.  Even if he  is a woman hating bigot. 

Quoting oredeb:

who is this guy? how'd he get to be in there? never heard of him before,

Quoting katzmeow726:

Saraho5
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I'd love to see a homeschooling family in the Oval Office!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

There has already been homeschoolers in the White House! The List below is of Presidents that where either homeschooled or homeschooled their children.

http://www.famoushomeschoolers.net/presidents.html

John Adams
2nd President

John Quincy Adams
6th President

Grover Cleveland
22nd President

James Garfield
20th President

William Henry Harrison
9th President

Andrew Jackson
7th President

Thomas Jefferson
3rd President

Andrew Johnson
17th President

Abraham Lincoln
16th President

James Madison
4th President

James Monroe
5th President

James Polk
11th President

Franklin Delano Roosevelt
32nd President

Theodore Roosevelt
26th President

John Tyler
10th President

George Washington
1st President

Woodrow Wilson
28th President

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:47 PM

AAA-greed. I apprecieate what he is trying to change with his platform, I really do get it, but it's not being done with the love of the book he claims to follow. He is trying to swing the pendulum so far, so fast, and do it in a way that is completely degrading. I don't think any one can argue that the American family is not as important as it used to be, but he is SO out of line. We need a regular, middle class, mom to run for office. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)