Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A homeschooler in the White House?

Posted by   + Show Post

Rick Santorum recently was in the news for homeschooling his children- I'm not exactly clear on why that was such a big deal- but how do you feel about having a homeschooling parent in the white house?  Even if it is Santorum, do you think a homeschooling parent would add a good perspective to the oval office?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:45 AM
Replies (11-14):
katzmeow726
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM
Amen!

Quoting hottmommi42:

AAA-greed. I apprecieate what he is trying to change with his platform, I really do get it, but it's not being done with the love of the book he claims to follow. He is trying to swing the pendulum so far, so fast, and do it in a way that is completely degrading. I don't think any one can argue that the American family is not as important as it used to be, but he is SO out of line. We need a regular, middle class, mom to run for office. 

Quoting katzmeow726:

Well, if it was ANYONE but Santorum, it would be good.  

But he's an absolute whack-a-doo, and would only encourage some of the negative homeschool stereotypes IMO. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kerseygeek
by Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:24 PM
I have no problem with a homeschooling parent in the White House. I homeschool one of own kids. I do think they can have a unique perspective as long as they aren't homeschool snobs & think that's the only way to teach kids. Unfortunately that's one of the many problems with Santorum. He thinks that schools are evil & out to corrupt our kids. There's nothing that would make me vote for him.
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I would much more want to have Ron Paul who believes in everyone's rights and liberties in all areas!!  Plus he is a huge advocate of home education. Has been for many years and never changed!

wulfbourne
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I might be able to support them as a homeschooling family if they hadn't ripped off  tens of thousands of dollars from Pennsylvania to do it.  

"In the fall of 2004, Santorum's use of tax dollars to pay for his kids' home schooling became controversial because his family was primarily living in Leesburg, Va., west of Washington. Following a local newspaper report, the Penn Hills School District near Pittsburgh tried to recover about $73,000 that it contended the state wrongly sent to an Internet-based charter school. Although the Santorums owned a house in the school district, officials argued, they were living out of state. The Pennsylvania Education Department in 2006 agreed to pay the district $55,000 to settle the dispute.

The cyberschool controversy dogged Santorum through his 2006 Senate re-election bid and contributed to his 18-point loss to Democrat Bob Casey."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)