Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone teach herbalism/plants?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter wants to learn about plants and animals.

We are going to hatch some chickens, weigh them, observe them etc as our science project. ( We usually raise meat birds, these ones will be pets)

I thought as far as plants go, we can learn herbs and then learn produce and such as they are ripening.

(She also wants to learn how to cook)

Mommy of FOUR!!

Tara ~ 12.16.03  Zachary ~ 5.17.05  Rowan ~ 1.17.09  Willow ~ 8/10/11

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:17 AM

hi mommaoftwo

i teach all the kids about herbs, plants, weeds, veg, flowers, medicinal and cooking etc! part of the education here, thats great your gona teach your daughter!! something she'll always use!  how are you gona go about it?

pet chickens! yea! they were one of our favorite pets when we had chickens

mommaoftwo
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Well I made a quick template for her, with a space to put plant name, latin name, a picture (either drawing or printed out or something)

a spot for description and temperate zone

uses, and ways and parts to use.

Then  add a little research into our daily work, working on an herb/week. Including maybe a once a month trip to the essential oil/dried herb shop my friend owns. As well as growing the ones that we can grow in our climate and or looking for wild ones like plaintain, burdock, nettle etc.

Quoting oredeb:

hi mommaoftwo

i teach all the kids about herbs, plants, weeds, veg, flowers, medicinal and cooking etc! part of the education here, thats great your gona teach your daughter!! something she'll always use!  how are you gona go about it?

Mommy of FOUR!!

oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:32 AM

fantastic ideas!!! another thing we do is make posters of all the plants, we take picture of each one and put them on poster board, we also dried them and put them on poster board so we could always see the difference, we put that clear sticky paper over each herb so it would preserve it better.

i also made some place cards of the herbs, had the kids go out and pick dinner!hahahaha

they keep a notebook going of the herbs we are learning about the medicinal values and how to use them for cooking, my grown kids still have theirs and use and add to it, well my 4th child and 3rd child do!hahaha

i also teach them how to make ointments, syrups, balms, soap, poultrices, tinctures etc using herbs, theres science!!!

plants are so fun to work with

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Well I made a quick template for her, with a space to put plant name, latin name, a picture (either drawing or printed out or something)

a spot for description and temperate zone

uses, and ways and parts to use.

Then  add a little research into our daily work, working on an herb/week. Including maybe a once a month trip to the essential oil/dried herb shop my friend owns. As well as growing the ones that we can grow in our climate and or looking for wild ones like plaintain, burdock, nettle etc.

Quoting oredeb:

hi mommaoftwo

mommaoftwo
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM

She thought it was hysterical that the grocery store sells dandelion greens.

I have been trying to get my husband to sit down with me and make a list of things we think it is important our kids learn, even if it is something that we may or may not know how to do right this minute.

I also plan on teaching them how to can and preserve, to sew, to change oil in a motor.

(granted my daughter wants to teach animals to clean her house when she grows up, keep dreaming kid) lol

mommaoftwo
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:32 AM

??

Quoting Emmie4367:

Quoting mommaoftwo:

Mommy of FOUR!!

oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:00 PM

wow i didnt know they sell them in the store! hahahah i just go pick them in mine and the neighbors yards!hahahahahahhaah

yes great idea teaching how to can or preserve and sew change oil,  i did that with all my kids girls and boy, sure has helped them now that they are adults, now im teaching these  kids that im hsing to to all that also, but they ar city kids and dont like to get their hands dirty!hahahahahahah they are funny to watch! some just jump right in and some dont want to at all!

so cute! and a good idea teaching the animals to clean house!!haha

Quoting mommaoftwo:

She thought it was hysterical that the grocery store sells dandelion greens.

I have been trying to get my husband to sit down with me and make a list of things we think it is important our kids learn, even if it is something that we may or may not know how to do right this minute.

I also plan on teaching them how to can and preserve, to sew, to change oil in a motor.

(granted my daughter wants to teach animals to clean her house when she grows up, keep dreaming kid) lol

usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:20 PM

My oldest wants to start a garden so he has been reading books on plants that grow well in our regain & about how to best garden here!

adelphi13
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I do.  We have a few garden's, visit farms, make oils, read books, watch movies, learn magical properties and so on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)