Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1st grade addition and subtraction

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
  • 14 Replies

My son understands the concept of adding and subtracting and can do them up to 20 with no problem as long as he has counters to use (numbers to 10 he has memorized but not to 20).  We've been on it for awhile now and I'm not sure if I should move on to the next subject or keep practicing until he has them memorized and can do them without counters.  What do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MedicMommy2
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I don't think they should have them all memorized, but they should be able to figure them out. My son is in kinder and he had to do up to 100 without counters and he can. The point was for him to learn how to figure them out by himself.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Feb. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM
I've been wondering the same. She can do anything with counters, but is working on memorizing them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM

You will find contrasting opinions on this issue!

Mine is that he should memorize the math facts. Why? Because if he has to figure them out, as math concepts get more complicated, it will take longer and longer to get through his math lesson. He will learn to hate math because it takes so long and is HARD (because he has to figure out every detail of every problem).

My dd worked on math facts throughout 1st and 2nd grades. She loved doing timed drills so that she could try to beat her former time. Learning math facts to the point of reflex is so important IMO. We are working on multiplication facts now in 3rd grade.

BTW, we used R&S for 1st and 2nd grades. 1st worked on understanding subtraction and additon but 2nd pushed for mastery and memorization. I introduced CLE math in 2nd grade and we transitioned into that by the beginning of 3rd grade. It is more of an incremental/spiral program, which my dd likes better than a mastery program.

mynameismuerte
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM
It kind of depends on what's next in the curriculum for me. I think they need to be able to figure it out without counters but not necessarily memorized to move on. Can you move on while still reinforcing the addition/subtraction? Time has been a great way for us to reinforce the addition and subtraction. Counting money may help it as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 2:49 PM

i'd move on, i never had my kids memorize them and they are fine! and it gives them practise figuring them out !

MommaTasha1003
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I think its a personal choice.. I would like DD to memorize most math facts personally. .Maybe try focusing on 1 math facts a week but also continue with your math curriculum if possible.

Google "Touch Math" if you havent already tought it..  This will teach them to use the # to help add.. I was taught this & it reallly helped me not to need anything to add (as long as the child can "add on").. I plan on teaching this to DD to maybe help her out as well.. (I dont know if this is helpful for you at all or not)..

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Just because of my experience with math through college, I feel like if they can find the answer on their own, its almost better than memorization, however, I HATE that I cannot quickly do a percentage in my head at the grocery, or quickly add anything without using something. But, once they are through ten, it's kinda multiplication of the last set, ya know?? IDK if any of that makes sense.... 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I do this with my first grader:

As soon as he can do the math with just his fingers, and do it fairly quickly, we move on, to say, using a ruler. I try to work a little sneaky addition or subtraction in but don't press it. Once a week, I slip in a worksheet on add/sub review.

So I kind of move on so Cole doesn't get bored or cocky, but I keep bringing it back up in little doses. My daughter is in 5th and I still slide her a multiplication sheet every few weeks just to keep her on her toes.

TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:11 PM

I let my boy start off using counters and eventually took them away because they became a crutch.. about a month after that he knew his facts without really having to think about them any more... I would say try having him work on problems without any carrying or borrowing and take away the counters. 

vsjc
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM
What are counters?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN