Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1st grade addition and subtraction

Posted by   + Show Post

My son understands the concept of adding and subtracting and can do them up to 20 with no problem as long as he has counters to use (numbers to 10 he has memorized but not to 20).  We've been on it for awhile now and I'm not sure if I should move on to the next subject or keep practicing until he has them memorized and can do them without counters.  What do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-14):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Oh, they can be anything, small foam blocks, M&Ms, small plastic bears. Anything that the child can count out to help solve a problem. Like counting out 3 beads, then 4 more and then counting the total amount to solve 3 plus 4 equals ?

Quoting vsjc:

What are counters?

wright1212
by on Feb. 29, 2012 at 1:36 PM

My 1st grade DD only uses fingers (no objects). We have been working on bigger numbers like 17 + 5. I teach to think 17, hold up 5, then put down a finger as you count 18-19-20 ect. We also have been doing place value ones, tens. I got unix blocks and we use a large dry erase to figure it out. Its now time to move onto time. We started time but then realized she needed to learn fractions first since half and quarter past did not make since. Now that is mastered we will start time again. BUT she will still have worksheets on adding and subtracting while learning time, then money. So move on yes..stop practicing NO. KWIM?

Kerseygeek
by Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:08 PM
My curriculum starts with counters but moves on to concepts like doubles facts & making 10. This doesn't require the same memorization but rather them using these concepts to "see" the math more easily. Once they get good at that it's easier to move on. Using number lines are also helpful, as well as fact families.
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 4:18 PM
What curriculum do u use?

Quoting Kerseygeek:

My curriculum starts with counters but moves on to concepts like doubles facts & making 10. This doesn't require the same memorization but rather them using these concepts to "see" the math more easily. Once they get good at that it's easier to move on. Using number lines are also helpful, as well as fact families.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)