Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

hi my name is sunflower and im new to homeschooling

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM
  • 7 Replies

hi everyone, due to illness my son has missed five weeks of school and had surgery yesterday so he will be recovering for another few weeks and i have decided to homeschool him the rest of the year due to him being in danger of failing seventh grade. im not sure how to get started, the board of education in my district says i cant withdraw him until i have a set ciriculum and i am on such a tight buget i cant afford materials, i thought i could print out free worksheets on the internet and get ideas at the library but have no idea how to get a set ciriculum. also im not sure of the requirements for seventh grade....im feeling parentlychallenged at the moment and need assistance asap due to the school breathing down my neck about his work which im at a loss as how to do without a teachers guide. please help

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome to the group Sunflower. Do you know the laws for your state? Is the school board your only source of information about homeschooling? If yes, realize most school districts are ignorant of the actual laws for homeschoolers & will push you to followthe schools rules & not the actual laws of the state. As far as curiculem goes there are all kinds to chose from even online public schools. Have you looked to see if on line public schools are free in your state? Sense you probably intend on him going back to public school next year that might be the best bet for you!

oredeb
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

what state are you in? look up your homeschool law, dont always believe what the school tells you!

http://www.homeschoollegaladvantage.com/resources/homeschool-laws-by-state

mem82
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM

*hugs* I'm sorry this has been so tough for you! I hope your son heals quickly!

hottmommi42
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Welcome!!  Sorry your kiddo has had a rough year this year!! Maybe clarify what they demand as a curriculum. Having a set curriculum doesn't mean books and worksheets, it does mean a map of what you intend to accomplish. So, if you can say to them, we are here, and for him to be ready for 8th grade  he needs to be here, so these are the concepts we need to cover along the way. This is a curriculum also. I have found SO much info on www.hclda.org, and if you are secular, ignore all the God refrence, because it doesnt have to be included. They give you maps on how to start, what laws, how to get around things that may happen, and contact information for people local to you. Good luck!

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:39 AM

It all depends on your State Laws which are easy to check out.  The following article will help you with your State Laws, grade level requirements, methods used by home educators, testing resources, and more:

How To Home School

sunflower302275
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 12:05 AM

thank you all so much this has been so helpful to me....my son is on the mend and after his post op checkup a week from today we will talk to the school to see what he needs to pass or if his grades are already at a point that summer school is needed if so i will homeschool him for that..however if he has a chance to pass as long as the requirements are met i am up for the task now that i have found this site...and some confidence...whewww just needed to stop, breathe and read some advice and im good to face another day :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN