Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you guys figure out what spelling words to use for your kids? I've tried to find the lists but haven't been able to!

by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 3:19 PM
Replies (11-18):
romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 5:36 PM

If one Googles the child's grade level + spelling words you will be taken to such lists.  Exp

First Grade Spelling Words

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Quoting bmw29:

We use soaring with spelling

Quoting rsrangel:

we use a spelling curriculum/workbook that lists the words for each week. 

I'm looking for a new one because I'm not sure I'm happy with ours.  Currently it's Spelling Workout and he is doing the first grade level.  Do you think I would start with level 2 for Soaring with Spelling?

romacox
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 5:59 PM

I like the way Sequential Spelling teaches spelling.  I teach the children root words, prefixes, suffixes, and word families.  It  improves their vocabulary, spelling and ability to decode big words all at the same time.  I also use the Game Ring Around The Phonics to make it more fun. 

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting rsrangel:

I'm looking for a new one because I'm not sure I'm happy with ours.  Currently it's Spelling Workout and he is doing the first grade level.  Do you think I would start with level 2 for Soaring with Spelling?

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM
If you look at the website they give you a sneak peak into the book. I would just look at them and see. You don't want them overly hard or easy. It's difficult to judge without knowing exactly where they are right now. Just know that there are easy weeks mixed in with the harder weeks. It does seem to have a decent word lineup though.

Quoting rsrangel:

Quoting bmw29:

Quoting rsrangel:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I use a mcguffey speller... usually what I do is just call out words and if they are spelled correctly, we skip those, but when he get's them wrong I mark them... once we get to 10 incorrect words ds has to work on those for the week.. so he'll write them out 5x and then write them out with the definition from the dictionary... then i test again at the end of the week and usually he get's them all correct.. from there i go back to the speller and start testing him on the words following the ones he previously got wrong. 

TheHappyChicken
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM
Sariah747
by on Feb. 28, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I think we are going to try the one by usmom! Hopefully it will work :)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Feb. 29, 2012 at 8:19 AM
We stopped doing separate spelling as it was clearly torturouus for my boys. Instead, when writing stories and such, if the kids mis-spell a word they have to write the correct spelling 20 times. Also we have a 'word of the day' that we all spell and learn the definition for....and we have a contest to see who.can use it more times during the day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN